• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Annoying HTML border problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    That's another reason I don't use jquery, depends what you're used to I suppose but the syntax of plain jscript seems a lot simpler to someone already used to C, C++ and Java. Jquery just seems to turn it into a different language for no obvious reason.
    I agree. Plus I don't know how much this is true, but looking something up by string name just seems like it should be horribly inefficient to me.

And is there a good reason for not just doing:

info.style.visibility = "visible";

?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      It's abstracting things... for all you know on one browser it maps directly to setting a property but on another to a whole wodge of nasty DOM/JS.

I'd echo that it's worth getting to grips with if you're not an expert HTML/CSS guy to start with (which seems not to be the case) as it will save you time down the line. Plus it's good to have on your CV
      It's worth it for the cross browser compatability alone.

Thought it was ubiquitous amongst web devs now.

Comment

On its own your code works okay in my browser(s) but its maybe some other CSS that is interfering. Can you paste in any other CSS files you include ?

Also, agree with others that unobtrusive javascript is the best way to tackle this kind of event based dom manipulation.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Sounds like a typical IE rendering failure. One thing that might give it a nudge and get it working is to use

Code:
          // assume reference to your toggley thing is in variable "thing"
          // as for example would be the result of
          // var thing = document.getElementById("toggley_thing");

thing.className = thing.className;
          or, if that doesn't work, try

Code:
          thing.parentNode.className = thing.parentNode.className;
          Sometimes IE seems to mess up calculating which bits of the document need repainting. Luckily, the developers never optimised for the case of a className assignment resulting in no change from the previous value, and as a changing className could cause all kinds of layout changes, IE proceeds to recalculate and repaint the element and its descendants, and anything else that's affected as a result.

It ought to do this for the visibility change anyway, but obviously it isn't in this case, so this just nudges it to have another try.

Also, sometimes it just gets it wrong again, but gets it right if the redraw starts at the parent of the problem object, or maybe at some containing element further up the tree; but start as far in as you can and only work out if you have to, as it has a deleterious effect on performance generally.

(Performance considerations might not seem so important nowadays, but as your stuff is for the educational market it's worth bearing in mind that schools and such often have rather crappy old machines that were built to cheap specs in the first place, so anything that helps avoid the risk of flickering redraws is a Good Thing.)

Comment

Cheers again Nick. I think my just changing the size a pixel has done the nudge it needed in this case but that's useful for further problems and has been added to my ever growing list of quirky things.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
            X