• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wierd CCS problem. Part of text outside containing DIVS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wierd CCS problem. Part of text outside containing DIVS

Cut it down a bit to make it clearer but have a four column thing with a background image on an HTML page. I have cut and pasted (three times just to be sure!) the style and HTML from another page that works in all browsers.

style:
    .content-last {float:left; width:992px; height:175px; margin-left:0px; background-image:url('images/main_lower.png'); background-repeat:no-repeat;}
    .content-lastbox {float:left; width:248px; height:175px;}
    .content-lastbox p {float:none; padding-left:20px; font-size:16px; font-weight:normal; padding-top:5px;}

HTML:
    <div class="content-last">
    <div class="content-lastbox">
    <p>Line 1<br>garbage</p>
    </div>
    <p>Line 2<br>tripe here</p>
    </div>
    <p>Line 3<br>things</p>
    </div>
    <p>Line 4<br>Rubbish<br>More rubbish</p>
    </div>
    </div>

This page works in all browsers except IE when the last four letters "bish" also appears below the box. The last column is a line taller but the div and the containing div are of sufficient height so why would just a small part of one line somehow overflow them? Much ta for any brill ideas.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Cant replicate that here on IE 9, displays ok. What does your DOCTYPE declaration say?

So does the below display wrong in your IE:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="ltr" lang="en">
    <head>
    <style type="text/css">
    .content-last {float:left; width:992px; height:175px; margin-left:0px; background-color:Red; background-repeat:no-repeat;}
     .content-lastbox {float:left; width:248px; height:175px;}
     .content-lastbox p {float:none; padding-left:20px; font-size:16px; font-weight:normal; padding-top:5px;}
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>
    <div class="content-last">
     <p>Line 1<br>garbage</p>
     </div>
     <p>Line 2<br>tripe here</p>
     </div>
     <p>Line 3<br>things</p>
     </div>
     <p>Line 4<br>Rubbish<br>More rubbish</p>
     </div>
     </div>
    </body>
    <html>

Comment

Cheers durbs. That fragment displays ok. I was trying to illustrate general problem and get general theories rather than post entire long webpage and expect somebody trawl through code. Ran page through a checker and all the previous elements open/close matched ok.

Sorted problem by sticking totally unecessary div around it. With CSS what's one more unecessary bit of stuff matter?
      Last edited by xoggoth; 24 January 2013, 11:20.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Are there comments, or other non-displayed elements such as hidden <input> fields, in the page? If so it could be one of the old IE duplicate characters bugs: IE6 Duplicate Characters Bug - CSS fixes and workarounds The IE Word Wrap Doppelganger Bug - SitePoint

Try adding display: inline; to the rules for the two floated elements. This won't break anything else, but will bring older versions of IE to heel.

Comment

Cheers Nick, will do. That certainly looks like the problem even if this is IE9!
          bloggoth

Comment

Working...
          X