• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

31gb file

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

31gb file

I have a 31Gb rar file i want to transfer from my parents PC to mine, traveling to their house is not possible. I have LogMeIn full admin access to their PC, VPN access to their network, i have a web server i could ftp the file up to and then download again to my machine.

what is the best fastest way to get the file from their machine to mine? the ftp webserver route or some other way that escapes my thoughts right now.

they have "fibre to the home" connection at blazing fast speeds, currently I have a 80 Mbit/s

cheers in advance for the sensible comments

Chef
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Buy a portable hard drive, get them to plug in, transfer file to it via LogMeIn, get them to post it to you.

quicker in the long run

failing that then yes, ftp is the best way

HTH
    Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
      Buy a portable hard drive, get them to plug in, transfer file to it via LogMeIn, get them to post it to you.
      64GB USB Flash Drive £30.

or FTP ...
      or scp ...
      or ...

A quick google suggests fibre upload speeds of "up to" 20Mbps. So for 31GB that's "at least" 4hrs for a direct transfer, or "at least" 8hrs using the web server as a staging* post. Of course if it falls over then multiply those numbers by some random N.

* but make sure the web server has enough free disk space first!

Comment

Rather than going up and then down via webserver, install hamachi (from logmein) and create a vpn on both machines - There are no firewall issues as it works similar to logmein. Then just copy as if you were on the same LAN.

Edit: I've recently started using the free version where you can connect up to 5 machines as they have a beta version for Linux that work on R-Pis.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Rather than going up and then down via webserver, install hamachi (from logmein) and create a vpn on both machines - There are no firewall issues as it works similar to logmein. Then just copy as if you were on the same LAN.

Edit: I've recently started using the free version where you can connect up to 5 machines as they have a beta version for Linux that work on R-Pis.
          I would have suggested sneaker net and posting it but this looks like the sensible option.

Don't forget to change the settings on both machines so that they don't time out and power down due to lack of machine activity tho.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

This sounds like exactly the solution I was hoping for, cheers Pondy, just as soon as I've cooked my full English I'll get started and let you know how I get on.

Comment

Hopefully neither of the connections has a usage cap...

VPN would be the best way if you can go over the Internet.

Comment

well installation was easy enough, setup a network via logmein hamachi on my machine, send a client request via my email to parents machine. logmein to parents machine, checked email and installed parents hamachi vpn client. right click on the computer you wish to browse and a window pops up allowing you to copy and paste as required. Its busy copying across the file right now, 5hrs remaining. And thats going as follows:

parents pc (uk based) -> my router / network in germany -> my wireless extender in my office -> wired to my windows 7 parallels installation on my macbook -> nas-server also wired to the wireless extender

it didnt like browsing from a PC to a mac or vice versa so i installed the client on my parallels windows installation on my mac but other than that it was fairly straight forward.

thanks folks.
                Last edited by chef; 10 January 2013, 12:23.

Comment

I'm not sure how that program handles disconnections, but if you find yourself having to restart the entire upload, have a look at some file splitting program.

"split" on linux (or cygwin) is good. Split the file into 31x 1GB files. Actually, is there a way in RAR to split the .rar file up?
                  Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                    well installation was easy enough, setup a network via logmein hamachi on my machine, send a client request via my email to parents machine. logmein to parents machine, checked email and installed parents hamachi vpn client. right click on the computer you wish to browse and a window pops up allowing you to copy and paste as required. Its busy copying across the file right now, 5hrs remaining.

it didnt like browsing from a PC to a mac or vice versa so i installed the client on my parallels windows installation on my mac but other than that it was fairly straight forward.

thanks folks.
                    I tend to use Filezilla or smbclient to copy across different platforms. I'm sure there are easier ways to 'share' but they work so can't be bothered looking for another way.

Remember: The more you watch a file copy, the longer it takes.

Comment

Working...
                    X