• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Virgin Super Hub, DHCP and additional router

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgin Super Hub, DHCP and additional router

I'm with Virgin Media for my phone, tv and broadband.

I have a "Super" hub running as purely a modem and DHCP is handled my my long suffering D-Link router.

I have now run out of LAN ports on the D-Link, is it possible to allow the hub to act as modem and a switch but NOT be a DHCP server?

In effect running exactly as now with the D-link router handling DHCP, port forwarding and virtual servers and just making some additional LAN ports available on the superhub to plug more stuff into?

ADV-Thanks-ANCE
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Don't know, but a now ex-colleague of mine told me just recently that his new "super hub" was dropping packets when being used as a switch, resulting in a flakey network and unhappy wife and children. He was able to restore domestic bliss with an el-cheapo gigabit switch.

So you may want to think twice about that plan.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

I have a "Super" hub running as purely a modem and DHCP is handled my my long suffering D-Link router.

I have now run out of LAN ports on the D-Link, is it possible to allow the hub to act as modem and a switch but NOT be a DHCP server?

In effect running exactly as now with the D-link router handling DHCP, port forwarding and virtual servers and just making some additional LAN ports available on the superhub to plug more stuff into?

ADV-Thanks-ANCE
      You don't want to go there. You really don't want to go there.

Amazon do a 100mb switch for £7 or a gigabit one for £15 go for one of those
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

ADV-Thanks-ANCE
        Im assuming here youre Virgin is cable.

Your DLINK wouldnt be able to act as a cable modem because it isnt one!. (Edit: it maybe, but it wont be configured for VMs cable network) The superhub is a combo cable modem/router in 1.

You should be able to plug the DLINK into the Superhub (youll lose 1 port for that) and have the superhub act as the DHCP. You can then plug clients into the DLINK and superhub. The Superhub will assign IPs to clients connected to the DLINK.
        Last edited by churkus; 20 December 2012, 12:59.

Comment

Originally posted by churkus View Post
          Im assuming here youre Virgin is cable.

Your DLINK wouldnt be able to act as a cable modem because it isnt one!. (Edit: it maybe, but it wont be configured for VMs cable network) The superhub is a combo cable modem/router in 1.

You should be able to plug the DLINK into the Superhub (youll lose 1 port for that) and have the superhub act as the DHCP. You can then plug clients into the DLINK and superhub. The Superhub will assign IPs to clients connected to the DLINK.
          You aren't in the UK are you? You don't quite grasp how bad a virgin super hub is.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            You aren't in the UK are you? You don't quite grasp how bad a virgin super hub is.
            i am too in the UK, and Im on Virgin Media cable!.

You maybe right about the superhub tho, i still use the standard cable modem connected to my own netgear router.

Comment

Originally posted by churkus View Post
              i am too in the UK, and Im on Virgin Media cable!.

You maybe right about the superhub tho, i still use the standard cable modem connected to my own netgear router.
              Keep it that way and don't upgrade when they off to double your bandwidth. By then hopefully they will have got rid of all of them and the next version (which cannot be any worse) will be out.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Keep it that way and don't upgrade when they off to double your bandwidth. By then hopefully they will have got rid of all of them and the next version (which cannot be any worse) will be out.
                Isn't there 2 different types of SuperHubs? The one that they introduced about a year ago which was a complete waste of implimentation and the new one? The new one (which I have) seems ok to me.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I went through 3 Superhubs with all sort of issues before turning on modem only option and I now have a rock solid connection with them. When it is in modem only mode only the one port is active so if you have run out of ports you will need to get another switch to connect to your existing router. Make sure you get a switch not a hub though I am not sure you can even get hubs anymore.

Comment

Working...
                  X