• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just got Visual Studio 2010 premium

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I came across a discussion recently where someone was complaining that his VS 2012 C++ programs had slower execution times than expected.
    For C/C++ I found that Intel compiler on Intel CPUs in unbeatable - it's possible to integrate it within VS as backend, so you get nice IDE but compiler is from Intel. Microsoft also did not allow inline assembly in 64-bit mode in VS 2008 for some reason, but it worked nicely in Intel compiler even in same IDE.

Comment

I came across a discussion recently where someone was complaining that his VS 2012 C++ programs had slower execution times than expected.

It turned out that the installation package had put the 32 bit version in by default. By installing the 64 bit version he got the expected performance back.

Just something to check...
      That makes no sense whatsoever.

VS2010 was faster at compiling C++ than the previous versions, and although I never did a comparison it supposedly produced faster code too. Unfortunately they rewrote intellisense and bollocksed it up completely, and didn't bother implementing it at all for C++/CLI, which to be honest was probably a blessing as it meant a lot less random lock ups.

What I'm currently working on has to build in VC6 . Fortunately I've cobbled together a debug build in VS2005, so it's not too hideous to work on, but I have to live with it asserting and various bits of the app not working correctly as a result. Trying to use anything newer results in too many issues with dependent libraries that I have no way of rebuilding.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Yikes, VC++ 6. I remember when we jumped from that to 2k5 on a massive codebase.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Yikes, VC++ 6.
          It was codenamed ... Aspen

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microso...6.0_.281998.29

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            That makes no sense whatsoever.

VS2010 was faster at compiling C++ than the previous versions, and although I never did a comparison it supposedly produced faster code too.
            The chap concerned was talking about the run times of compute bound programs produced by VS, not compile times. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

The chap concerned was talking about the run times of compute bound programs produced by VS, not compile times. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
              That's what I thought you meant. But, is there a 64-bit Visual Studio? I didn't think there was, I thought the one 32-bit version produced 64-bit code. So how could someone have installed the wrong version? And how could he have built a 64-bit program as a 32-bit program without realising it, which is what I thought you were saying, and for that matter, why would a 32-bit program be any slower anyway?

It sense no make.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
                You would be surprised how quickly you get used to it, it differentiates the menu from other text. There is a lot of usability study behind this. Did you think some mongo came in one day and said "let use all caps in menus for lulz"?
                Is it the same mongo who removed the start button from Windows 8?

Comment

Working...
                X