• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just got Visual Studio 2010 premium

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe he doesn't want any of the 2012 features, and isn't keen on ALL CAPS.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      that was a bizarre one right enough.

Relatively simple fix though.

Comment

VS 2012 is worth upgrading to - ALL CAPS in menus can be turned off using registry tweak, black and white theme is annoying at start but they've made real improvements to build speed and also .NET 4.5 is a bit faster - saw around 10-15% speed up in CPU intensive code.

Skipped VS 2010 completely.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          VS 2012 is worth upgrading to - ALL CAPS in menus can be turned off using registry tweak, black and white theme is annoying at start but they've made real improvements to build speed and also .NET 4.5 is a bit faster - saw around 10-15% speed up in CPU intensive code.

Skipped VS 2010 completely.
          Are you using it on W7 - you'd recommend it for generic C++/C# development on a regular dev PC?

Comment

You would be surprised how quickly you get used to it, it differentiates the menu from other text. There is a lot of usability study behind this. Did you think some mongo came in one day and said "let use all caps in menus for lulz"?

Comment

I've been using VS2005. It's great: everything is so fast, it doesn't randomly lock up in the middle of typing, and intellisense actually provides useful information rather than freezing the machine for 30 seconds and still not finding the definition.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Are you using it on W7 - you'd recommend it for generic C++/C# development on a regular dev PC?
                Yes, I am using it on Win 7 64 bit.

Have not tried C++, but for C# they are actually quicker than VS 2008 to build things and to debug, so well worth upgrading.

Intellisense has improved compared to VS 2008, overall it's a very good result - I just wish they invested their resources into something other than Metro tulip.

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
                  You would be surprised how quickly you get used to it, it differentiates the menu from other text. There is a lot of usability study behind this. Did you think some mongo came in one day and said "let use all caps in menus for lulz"?
                  What about all the usability studies over the last 10-15 years which HASN'T said all-caps is best? MS spend $billions on UX and yet 95,98,ME,2000,XP,Vista and W7 are without these things.

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
                    Did you think some mongo came in one day and said "let use all caps in menus for lulz"?
                    Yes.

His name was Sinofsky.

He got fired for being such a mongo.

Few months before Win 8 release I've posted a few comments in his blog that I can't wait for Win 8 because he'd get fired quickly after, they never made post moderation but VS 2012 team's blog was more open minded about it

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Yes, I am using it on Win 7 64 bit.

Have not tried C++, but for C# they are actually quicker than VS 2008 to build things and to debug, so well worth upgrading.

Intellisense has improved compared to VS 2008, overall it's a very good result - I just wish they invested their resources into something other than Metro tulip.
                      I came across a discussion recently where someone was complaining that his VS 2012 C++ programs had slower execution times than expected.

It turned out that the installation package had put the 32 bit version in by default. By installing the 64 bit version he got the expected performance back.

Just something to check...
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X