• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 2000 lives

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 2000 lives

I've just finished installing Windows 2000 on an old Dell Precision dual P3 550. I'd completely forgotten how fast Windows 2000 is after living with XP for 4 years. It feels approximately twice the speed of my P4 3.0 workstation running Windows XP.

Such is the price you pay for progress
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Try DOS.... quick as lightning...
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

It is. I had a Compaq 386 Portable that I used for network diagnostics running DOS until last year.

Comment

Fastest application load time I've ever seen was Wordperfect under DOS on a 386SX.

Think it would lose out to my workstation running Unreal Tournament though.
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Ahh yes back in the days of Word Perfect 5.1.

I still remember what I call the peak of computing innovation. Windows 2000 on a P3-500 and Voodoo 3 3000 playing Unreal Tournament (the original) CTF Facing Worlds with 7 other people over my hideous NTL 512k connection.

That and sleeping on the floor at a LAN party at Newbury race course using a pair of steel capped stomping boots as a pillow.

Too much cider tonight I think!

Comment

nlite etc

Turn off all that extra tosh that XP runs i.e. exploding menus, give it a minimum of 1Gb memory and you can get it to run 30% faster.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I have done. It's still slow. The memory footprint is horrid.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                I have done. It's still slow. The memory footprint is horrid.
                Dropping all services apart from network you should get around 110Mb footprint.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                  Dropping all services apart from network you should get around 110Mb footprint.
                  This poor machine is a dual P3-550 with 256Mb of RAM. Win2k has a 64Mb foorprint after boot to desktop on that.

I'm going to grab a gig of RAM for it, another SCSI disk and a couple of P3-700 CPUs and see if it's liveable as a workstation and flog the other thing I think.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                    playing Unreal Tournament (the original) CTF Facing Worlds with 7 other people
                    Ah yes, great map. Often play the UT2004 CTF-FaceClassic map with 5 other people on ADSL, server local and Skype conference. Set the UT2004 server INI file to cap the upload stream/player.

I often lurk on the middle floor of the tower with a Sniper rifle clearing the path for the team to go hot. Nice getting "Wicked Sick"!!
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X