• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Windows 2000 lives

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Windows 2000 lives"

Collapse

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I live in the past.

I think that 8 bit os written in PL/M are cool.
    CP/M I used to love that. Until I discovered RISCOS and UNIX.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    http://www.iyonix.com/ is even better (if you live in the past and think 32 bit OS designed in the 1980's are cool)
    Horrible machine. Nothing outstanding. I had one for a while.

RISCOS still can whip a lot of arse!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    http://www.iyonix.com/ is even better (if you live in the past and think 32 bit OS designed in the 1980's are cool)

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by hattra
    and I'm still trying to find the time to get an Acorn Archimedes hooked up to the home network
    Now there's a PROPER computer. I was brought up on those lovelies after I'd worn out my BBC Master. I am actually looking at one of these for a quick 600 quid down the pan:

http://www.advantage6.com/products/A9home.html

Yes it's a modern acorn archimedes (well RiscPC). Yes that is the little blue box next to the TFT and yes that is ALL that it is. It's got everything you need for a basic workstation and it runs on the electricity a small field mouse can generate on a wheel.

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeGregan
    replied
    A certain well known investment bank I was contracting at a few months ago still runs w2k on all its desktops. While it might have a smaller memory footprint you'd be surprised how much stuff you miss from XP. Especially from a development point of view, lots of APIs you would think were bog standard that didn't exist until XP.

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    Hmm.... and I've got a garage full of old Proliant servers

and an obsession with upgrading a dual P133 DEC Prioris

and I'm still trying to find the time to get an Acorn Archimedes hooked up to the home network

Why? That's what I want to know

Time to go an lie down for a bit.................

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by NoddY
    That's nothing, I run 12 virtual machines on a P3 666Mhz 'for fun'.
    Yeah I do similar strange things. I have a Sun Ultra 30 with solaris on it for no particular reason and a pile of dead circa 1992 Sun workstations under the kitchen table.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    That's nothing, I run 12 virtual machines on a P3 666Mhz 'for fun'.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    I often lurk on the middle floor of the tower with a Sniper rifle clearing the path for the team to go hot. Nice getting "Wicked Sick"!!
    CAMPER!!!

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Didn't know there was a UT2004 map for that. I should get out more

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    playing Unreal Tournament (the original) CTF Facing Worlds with 7 other people
    Ah yes, great map. Often play the UT2004 CTF-FaceClassic map with 5 other people on ADSL, server local and Skype conference. Set the UT2004 server INI file to cap the upload stream/player.

I often lurk on the middle floor of the tower with a Sniper rifle clearing the path for the team to go hot. Nice getting "Wicked Sick"!!

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    Dropping all services apart from network you should get around 110Mb footprint.
    This poor machine is a dual P3-550 with 256Mb of RAM. Win2k has a 64Mb foorprint after boot to desktop on that.

I'm going to grab a gig of RAM for it, another SCSI disk and a couple of P3-700 CPUs and see if it's liveable as a workstation and flog the other thing I think.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    I have done. It's still slow. The memory footprint is horrid.
    Dropping all services apart from network you should get around 110Mb footprint.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    I have done. It's still slow. The memory footprint is horrid.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X