• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Network permission problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network permission problem

They were ok before but now a school is having trouble using our programs on their Windows 7 machines installed over their new RM network. They work ok for teachers with admin permission but not for pupils, they get a Program Data access error.

Our programs are bog standard .NET and use whatever paths are in the system variable files. Program Data is where Win 7 usually puts any temporary files. Wondering what there is about their setup that would restict access to that folder, and how any other programs could work properly? (Assuming they do).

Any bright ideas on this? Cheers.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 26 November 2012, 12:59.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    They were ok before but now a school is having trouble using our programs on their Windows 7 machines installed over their new RM network. They work ok for teachers with admin permission but not for pupils, they get a Program Data access error.

Our programs are bog standard .NET and use whatever paths are in the system variable files. Program Data is where Win 7 usually puts any temporary files. Wondering what there is about their setup that would restict access to that folder, and how any other programs could work properly? (Assuming they do).

Any bright ideas on this? Cheers.
    Not exactly The ProgramData folder contains all your application data, like program settings, user data, etc, for all of the installed programs on the computer (i.e. it contains everything that used to be in
    \Documents and Settings\All Users and \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data folders in XP).

by the sounds of it someone has changed the access permissions somewhere so that non administrators cannot run your program. Have they installed a new version recently?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Cheers. Yes, they appear to be reinstalling all our stuff, new network or PCs I would assume.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Cheers. Yes, they appear to be reinstalling all our stuff, new network or PCs I would assume.
        At which point they've probably installed it from an adminstrators account and not chosen the all users option.

Best solution would be to try and install it from a non admin account and to login when prompted. That should ensure everyone can see and run the program.

Comment

Cheers eek but I can't do actually anything myself. I'm responding to an email support request and have already said, since our path setups are standard .NET, that it sounds like some permission problem with their setup. The bloke describes himself as an IT Network coordinator, so he should know the basics of setting up program permissions and have already done what you describe. (mind you, this is public sector!) Are there any more obscure causes?

Know nowt about networks and was wondering if network installs do something different, eg set a common network version of ProgramData perhaps? Could it make a difference if they copied the setup files and installed them on machines individually?
          bloggoth

Comment

I wouldn't call myself an expert on this stuff either. However don't assume their people are anything other than low level support monkey's because the amounts schools will willing pay support people is peanuts (but people are still stupid enough to take the job)

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              (but people are still in need of work enough to take the job)
              FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I wouldn't call myself an expert on this stuff either. However don't assume their people are anything other than low level support monkey's because the amounts schools will willing pay support people is peanuts (but people are still stupid enough to take the job)
                You'd be surprised, Mrs MM's school had a chap in to fix the network a few weeks ago - £1750 a day...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  You'd be surprised, Mrs MM's school had a chap in to fix the network a few weeks ago - £1750 a day...
                  I smell a plan B.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if that includes the cost of replacement hardware.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    I smell a plan B.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if that includes the cost of replacement hardware.
                    Schools will pay when they have problems to solve. That doesn't stop the day to day staff being incompetent monkey's paid (in) peanuts.

Comment

Working...
                    X