• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Surface

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Surface

Anyone considering one of theses.

They have the lite RT version out now but there is a Pro version coming sometime.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Anyone considering one of theses.

They have the lite RT version out now but there is a Pro version coming sometime.
    Someone at clientco has one. It looks big and he's currently on his third keyboard (none of which work) so he's got a dodgy machine. Personally for that reason alone its a dud.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm waiting for the pro version. Hopefully it may be up to replacing my ageing MacBook pro.

Comment

RT is not compatible with x86 software...

Comment

Personally, I'm going to give it another year or so to see how it goes. Not overly keen on the RT implementation. If I was to get a Surface I would have to go the whole hog with with Nokia Lumia 920 phone too, but due to them only being supplied by EE for now, I am holding off till general 4G roll out!
          threenine.co.uk
          Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Friend of mine has one. Apparently the new Metro interface for Windows 8 makes much more sense on the device but so far he hasn't found the killer application that makes it worthwhile. The Pro version may fix this by running x86 software but he's not holding out much hope for now.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Tech Crunch did give it a bit of recommendation as a kitchen computer
              Oh, So This Is Where You Use The Microsoft Surface | TechCrunch
              threenine.co.uk
              Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Originally posted by cykophysh39 View Post
                Tech Crunch did give it a bit of recommendation as a kitchen computer
                Oh, So This Is Where You Use The Microsoft Surface | TechCrunch
                TechRadar did a comprehensive review as well, verdict here:

Microsoft Surface review: Verdict | Tablets Reviews | TechRadar

Highlights: Good keyboard options, well built, looks good, big screen.

Lowlights: Performance issues, lower than average screen resolution, lack of applications.

Comment

The lack of apps is the chicken and egg situation and it ain't going to change because having seen one I'll stick to my ipad mini.

And i'm sure its currently more profitable to create another ipad app rather than a metro one (and yes I know its no longer called metro but meh)
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    The lack of apps is the chicken and egg situation and it ain't going to change because having seen one I'll stick to my ipad mini.

And i'm sure its currently more profitable to create another ipad app rather than a metro one (and yes I know its no longer called metro but meh)
                    It should be a no-brainer for the app developers. It's Windows, one app runs on everything, tablet, phone, laptop, desktop. But, because they've effectivly crippled the launch version by not running x86 no-one will want to develop apps for it only to have to rework them for the x86 version when it comes out, so the drive to buy the launch version won't be there, so there will be no momentum for the pro version when it arrives. Unless they can persuade the corporate buyers that it is a worthwhile investment.

Comment

Working...
                    X