• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Android wifi only connect to 3G

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi works both ways, so there's no electronics required to allow a phone that can connect to a WiFi router to also share its 3G connection to other WiFi devices
    Interesting but what do you actually need to do on the phone? Took it out of range of router but can't detect any wifi signal from it, can't see any relevant settings.

Settings, Wireless & Networks, more, tethering and portable hotspot.
    Sorry missed that. Nowt such on my phone unfortunately.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 10 September 2012, 18:37.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Sorry missed that. Nowt such on my phone unfortunately.
      Which Android version? Mine's on 4.1. I have a feeling the settings were in a different place in 2.x.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Dunno, just run out of battery but just checked and I can do an upgrade.

Seems however that T Mobile will block tethering anyway. Bummer.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Acer Iconia tab, coming tomorrow.

Acer Iconia Tab A510 Review - Android Tablet Reviews by MobileTechReview

Was thinking of the Kindle Fire, much cheaper, but it's rather non standard Android apparently.
          Get a Nexus 7 then... can't get more "standard" android than that
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Settings, Wireless & Networks, more, tethering and portable hotspot.
            I just tried this - and it's still enabled on my Three mobile issues Samsung S3
            Just checked my plan T&C's and tethering is allowed!

So I can now get rid of the separate dongle so that's £18 a month saved
            I owe you a beer
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Dunno, just run out of battery but just checked and I can do an upgrade.

Seems however that T Mobile will block tethering anyway. Bummer.
              Orange (same company now) are supposed to block tethering but they don't.

Give it a try.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

With this "wifi hotspot" stuff, surprising that a phone that can connect via wifi can also act like a router to transmit wifi, why on earth would it have the electronics for that? Dunno if it will work with my cheap phone but have to go through the routing thing to find out.
                As other have said - the send and recieve electronics are the same, being able to broacast over the right frequency. The software is what make the device a client or a server, so you can swap your android phone between them.

Why? I guess google decided it was a cool feature that when you are away from your home wifi network, you can then swap over so your phone becomes the router and your laptop/pad/media viewer can become a client and still get to the net, without requiring yet another sim and contract. I can't understand why people pay £100 more for an ipad which requires a sim, when they probably already have a iphone (or in my case Samsung S2).

One thing to watch - running the hoptspot on the phone can eat up battery - ie. turn it off when not using it or you won't get a full days use from your phone.
                Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

If I understand you correctly, you want to connect your non 3G tablet to your android phone to use the phone's 3G capability...I connect my laptop to my phone (via USB) with EasyTether, but I do have an unlimited internet plan. I don't have a tether plan as such, so don't use wifi hotspot, but EasyTether bypasses that so I don't have any extra charges.

EDIT: Sorry, not sure if the software is available for Android tablets yet.
                  Last edited by dezze; 12 September 2012, 14:55.

Comment

The question is: how do they know you're tethering? I read something suggesting they'd look at the browser ID header (i.e. if it's running on Windows then it's clear that you're tethering), but if you're using an Android tablet via your Android phone, it's going to be running exactly the same browser.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X