• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Android wifi only connect to 3G

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android wifi only connect to 3G

Just brought a WIFI only Android tablet. Very occasionally, so needs to be PAYG, I may want to connect to 3G. Just set one up for the sister so I know these are good:

MiFi - Mobile Broadband Wi-Fi Dongle - Three

However, wondering if there is any way to connect it using my Android PAYG phone. Over 12 years ago I could check my emails and browse the net (sort of) using a Psion 5 connected to a Nokia 7710 so can't believe it ain't possible. Any ideas? Cheers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Just brought a WIFI only Android tablet. Very occasionally, so needs to be PAYG, I may want to connect to 3G. Just set one up for the sister so I know these are good:

MiFi - Mobile Broadband Wi-Fi Dongle - Three

However, wondering if there is any way to connect it using my Android PAYG phone. Over 12 years ago I could check my emails and browse the net (sort of) using a Psion 5 connected to a Nokia 7710 so can't believe it ain't possible. Any ideas? Cheers.
    Use the WiFi hotspot app if you have it, it will let you use your phone as a WiFi hotspot.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

What version of Android, as doodab says most flavours should let you create a wifi hotspot easy enough
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Cheers. Was looking at some tethering apps last night. Can't see any that connect via USB that work with Android tablets.

With this "wifi hotspot" stuff, surprising that a phone that can connect via wifi can also act like a router to transmit wifi, why on earth would it have the electronics for that? Dunno if it will work with my cheap phone but have to go through the routing thing to find out.

On these paid for things, horrible arrangements - 3Gb for 3 months etc. Really just want one with x Gb and no time limit but does not seem available. Perhaps I'll dig out my Psion 5/Nokia, all much simpler.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 10 September 2012, 08:51.
        bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          With this "wifi hotspot" stuff, surprising that a phone that can connect via wifi can also act like a router to transmit wifi, why on earth would it have the electronics for that?
          I'd guess that the electronics are going to be more or less the same as both types of devices need to both transmit and receive WiFi signals. It's the firmware/software side that makes it behave as an access point or station.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

IIRC Android does the WiFi hotspot thing out of the box, you don't need a specific app.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              IIRC Android does the WiFi hotspot thing out of the box, you don't need a specific app.
              WHS. I think it was in 2.2 and later.

WiFi works both ways, so there's no electronics required to allow a phone that can connect to a WiFi router to also share its 3G connection to other WiFi devices. It can't, however, do both at the same time, not that you'd need to.

I used it when I had an el-cheapo Orange Sanfrancisco with my laptop and my home broadband connection was down. It's against the terms of my T-mobile payg access, but for occasional use they're not going to know.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Which tablet did you buy? I just got a Coby Kryos - and have a similar sort of problem

mate of mine has managed to tether his phone though - will try and gte details of how.

Comment

Settings, Wireless & Networks, more, tethering and portable hotspot.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Acer Iconia tab, coming tomorrow.

Acer Iconia Tab A510 Review - Android Tablet Reviews by MobileTechReview

Was thinking of the Kindle Fire, much cheaper, but it's rather non standard Android apparently.
                    bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                    X