• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC hardware monitor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC hardware monitor

Hi All,

I have a PC at home that runs XP Pro & SUSE Linux but it keeps crashing. When it hangs the monitor stays on but the keybd, mouse and network card all freeze. Anyone know of a freebie utility that I can use to track the cause down? Or has anyone seen similar?

Thanks.
    PL

I usually just buy another PC!

It may be memory - that's what usually causes hard lock. Run memtest86 on it for a while (may be on the SuSE boot CD or get the ISO and burn it from here: http://www.memtest86.com/ )
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Cheers. Will have a go at the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
        Hi All,

I have a PC at home that runs XP Pro & SUSE Linux but it keeps crashing. When it hangs the monitor stays on but the keybd, mouse and network card all freeze. Anyone know of a freebie utility that I can use to track the cause down? Or has anyone seen similar?

Thanks.
        PL

Has it started recently? If so it could be overheating in the hot weather if it doesnt have good ventilation. If your happy getting your hands dirty then open it up and remove all the PCI cards etc and memory and give it a good clean out to clear any dust from the fans and interior of the case before refitting and checking everything is seated correctly.

Problems like this can also crop up when you get dust particles getting into the card and memory slots so a good clean should fix that problem as well.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
          Has it started recently? If so it could be overheating in the hot weather if it doesnt have good ventilation. If your happy getting your hands dirty then open it up and remove all the PCI cards etc and memory and give it a good clean out to clear any dust from the fans and interior of the case before refitting and checking everything is seated correctly.

Problems like this can also crop up when you get dust particles getting into the card and memory slots so a good clean should fix that problem as well.

Thanks DaveB - Built it myself, so might take it apart and get the Dyson on it.

Comment

One of my PC's locked up the other day and yep it was overheating.

Downloaded and installed this utility:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/mbm.html

Now I get an email if the box (used as a server) gets too warm.

Comment

I used to support a bunch of Sun boxes used in a research lab. They were kept on mini shelving units at the end of each run of desks and the grad students would regularly pile papers on top of them untill the fell down the side and back and blocked the fans. 30 mins later I get a warning on the management console that a box had died. After the first few times I started shredding any papers I found on or around the machines when this happened.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
              X