• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Application Front End in C#

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    does that mean you aren't going to suggest any site for spaceboy ?
    Evidently not, and it appears to be because of my testing methodology
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
      does that mean you aren't going to suggest any site for spaceboy ?
      Unfortunately not. It's just too general a question to be meaningfully answered.

Whilst I may have been slightly tongue-in-cheek earlier, I'm sure that any developer would tell SC the same: there's simply no such thing as a single guide that can "quickly walk a novice through how to build an application front end in C#?", any more than there's "a" single guide on how to build a facade for a building, even one that isn't fancy.

There are around twenty different types of project that can be built using C# in conjunction with the .net framework. You'd need to know which type of solution you were trying to build before you could begin to provide any meaningful advice; web projects are as different to windows forms as skyscrapers are to bungalows, and whilst ASP.Net and ASP.Net MVC may sound the same, they're quite different.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
        Unfortunately not. It's just too general a question to be meaningfully answered.

Whilst I may have been slightly tongue-in-cheek earlier, I'm sure that any developer would tell SC the same: there's simply no such thing as a single guide that can "quickly walk a novice through how to build an application front end in C#?", any more than there's "a" single guide on how to build a facade for a building, even one that isn't fancy.

There are around twenty different types of project that can be built using C# in conjunction with the .net framework. You'd need to know which type of solution you were trying to build before you could begin to provide any meaningful advice; web projects are as different to windows forms as skyscrapers are to bungalows, and whilst ASP.Net and ASP.Net MVC may sound the same, they're quite different.
        +1. When I saw the question last night it looked far too much like how long is a piece of string to be worth answering. Different project types use very different technogy stacks even within .net and thats before you look at data access options and security issues relating to user types.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It wasn't that general - I was asking for a quick guide to building an application front end in C# - I should have maybe qualified that as a Windows application front end to help you differentiate that from a web front end. However, given that the first to replies guess what I was clumsily getting at you could have followed their lead or just asked.

There are lots of single guides for most technologies aimed at novices. The problem is as a novice in this area I have no idea how to rate one against the other. I'm not asking for a guide which will make me an expert. I just needed something to cover the basics and start me off with some good habits rather than just cobbling some badly written code together (as I usually do).

I think it's already been whittled down to a windows form project.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            It wasn't that general - I was asking for a quick guide to building an application front end in C# - I should have maybe qualified that as a Windows application front end to help you differentiate that from a web front end. However, given that the first to replies guess what I was clumsily getting at you could have followed their lead or just asked.
            It was a very general question, SC, you just don't realise it. Anyway, now that you've qualified your question down to a manageable slice of the wider subject you asked about, I hope this will help. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by insur View Post
              Try here for some video tutorials.
              "How Do I?" Videos for Visual C#

Start Visual Studio 2010
              Goto File, New Project.
              Select installed templates\Visual C#\Windows, now select Windows Forms Application.
              That will give you a basic form application.
              Open Form1 on the screen. Goto menu item View, select Toolbox and drag controls onto the form.

That looks spot on thanks!
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Forms is easy, as a C++/MFC guy who'd picked up C# for server (non-GUI) projects, it seemed very easy to build my first Winforms app without any books or tutorials. Well done MS...
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                X