• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting into a password locked lappie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting into a password locked lappie

Following on from that other thread (!), my son had a lappie which developed issues so he went out and bought a new one. Now, 3 years later, I want to trash the 'old' lappie but, need to delete everything on the HD first.

Before I do that, I'd like to see if it can be fixed or its completely fooked. Trouble is, he cant remember the password. So, how can I get past the windows log in? I think the lappie has XP on it.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Following on from that other thread (!), my son had a lappie which developed issues so he went out and bought a new one. Now, 3 years later, I want to trash the 'old' lappie but, need to delete everything on the HD first.

Before I do that, I'd like to see if it can be fixed or its completely fooked. Trouble is, he cant remember the password. So, how can I get past the windows log in? I think the lappie has XP on it.
    Take a look at this and just use Boot and Nuke
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

Lightweight bootable linux version on a USB stick or CD. Boot, mount the windows partition and blow away the password file. Reboot in windows and your done.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Lightweight bootable linux version on a USB stick or CD. Boot, mount the windows partition and blow away the password file. Reboot in windows and your done.
        Password file?
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Password file?
          %System Root%/system32/config/sam

Holds the (encrypted) user details and password associated with the accounts SID. Delete that and the account remains but the password is blanked.

If you want to exercise a little more finess you can delete the password hash from the file for the account you want access to.

If you want even more finesse you remove the hash, get into the account, do what you want with it, put the hash back, fiddle the file modification time on the SAM, and no-one will know you were there ( well, not without some pukka forensics anyway).
          Last edited by DaveB; 19 July 2012, 13:45.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
          X