• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Getting into a password locked lappie"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Password file?
    %System Root%/system32/config/sam

Holds the (encrypted) user details and password associated with the accounts SID. Delete that and the account remains but the password is blanked.

If you want to exercise a little more finess you can delete the password hash from the file for the account you want access to.

If you want even more finesse you remove the hash, get into the account, do what you want with it, put the hash back, fiddle the file modification time on the SAM, and no-one will know you were there ( well, not without some pukka forensics anyway).
    Last edited by DaveB; 19 July 2012, 13:45.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Lightweight bootable linux version on a USB stick or CD. Boot, mount the windows partition and blow away the password file. Reboot in windows and your done.
    Password file?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Following on from that other thread (!), my son had a lappie which developed issues so he went out and bought a new one. Now, 3 years later, I want to trash the 'old' lappie but, need to delete everything on the HD first.

Before I do that, I'd like to see if it can be fixed or its completely fooked. Trouble is, he cant remember the password. So, how can I get past the windows log in? I think the lappie has XP on it.
    Lightweight bootable linux version on a USB stick or CD. Boot, mount the windows partition and blow away the password file. Reboot in windows and your done.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Following on from that other thread (!), my son had a lappie which developed issues so he went out and bought a new one. Now, 3 years later, I want to trash the 'old' lappie but, need to delete everything on the HD first.

Before I do that, I'd like to see if it can be fixed or its completely fooked. Trouble is, he cant remember the password. So, how can I get past the windows log in? I think the lappie has XP on it.
    Take a look at this and just use Boot and Nuke

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    started a topic Getting into a password locked lappie

Getting into a password locked lappie

Working...
X