• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows XP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I know it can be tricky switching to a different AT but it might be worth having a look at NVDA - it's a free open-source screen reader and is now a mature and widely-supported product, and people I know in the field of accessibility speak highly of it. Given that it's free, it can't do any harm to have a try of it on a VM or such
    The reader he uses is called Jaws. It's the one his school uses and is supposed to be the best. I think once you have got used to one then its quite hard to change to another. I'll get him to check it out though. His PC is dual booted with Windows 7, so I might stick it on there.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
      The reader he uses is called Jaws. It's the one his school uses and is supposed to be the best. I think once you have got used to one then its quite hard to change to another. I'll get him to check it out though. His PC is dual booted with Windows 7, so I might stick it on there.
      Yes, I assumed he must be using Jaws - the price is a bit of a clue I'm aware of people who have successfully made the transition from Jaws to NVDA, and it doesn't cost anything bar a bit of time to try it out, so I thought I'd mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Yes, I assumed he must be using Jaws - the price is a bit of a clue I'm aware of people who have successfully made the transition from Jaws to NVDA, and it doesn't cost anything bar a bit of time to try it out, so I thought I'd mention it.
        I will get him to have a look at the one you suggest as I'm picking him up tonight
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

The local IT shop sold me a copy of their disk for £5
          as long as you have your own Key I guess most places would be happy to give you a copy.

As other people have pointed out the version does matter but unless you remember paying extra for it you're most likely going to have XP Home

Comment

Cherrs for all the comments and especially Netraider who helped by giving me access to an XP ISO image. As luck would have it, one of my XP CD's turned up and I used that in the end. It's going to be copied a million times until my son finds his way onto windows 7. The whole task was made harder by my Action Pack subscription lapsing on the very same weekend and I didn't have a paper copy of the Office key! Although I renewed, the renewal process takes 2 WORKING days to process. Great from a technology company that.

MS has truly cack websites!

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
            X