• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote control software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 for TeamViewer

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
      Whatever happened to VNC? That used to be fab and once installed, the user didnt need do anything!
      I was going to suggest that but you'd need to set up a network connection / VPN as well. I use OpenVPN for that and it works well but it's not a point and click setup.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
        Whatever happened to VNC? That used to be fab and once installed, the user didnt need do anything!
        I would say the likes of LogMeIn have superseded it, especially as they offer a very functional free version. Can't say I've used VNC much but whenever anyone suggests remote access/control software my first instinct these days is LogMeIn purely because it's easy to install/configure, doesn't require any fiddly network config like a VPN and does pretty much anything the average user would want.

I think you need the PRO version to transfer files etc, but IIRC you can't do that with VNC anyway...

Comment

I thought there was something similar built into MSN Messenger.

Remote assistance through MSN.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

VNC

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
              Another +1 for LogMeIn. The initial install is the only slight hurdle but it's not hugely complicated - best thing is for you to register for the account, then I think you'll need to give him the email address/password so when he installs the client application it gets linked to the right LogMeIn account.

Once installed you just visit their website, log in, and the computer should be listed and it will tell you whether it's online or offline. If online you can connect straight from the browser (you'll need to know the username/password for a local account on his computer though).

Also I'd recommend you use Firefox for this, as there is a decent plugin which you'll be prompted to download from the LogMeIn website which makes the remote control experience much nicer - Chrome and IE just rely on Java and IMO it's slower and the picture quality is much worse.
              There's a plugin for IE too and Safari (Safari on Mac anyway).

Comment

I would go with LogMeIn or Teamviewer.

Remote Assistance or VNC can work but you are most probably going to have to do some port forwarding to get it work or open some ports on the router so it can be some work.

LogMeIn uses standard port 80 and 443 ports which are the same ports used for web surfing and HTTPS connections and these are generally opened by default.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Another vote for Logmein.

Comment

Working...
                  X