• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PAYG Mobile Broadband

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAYG Mobile Broadband

Any one got any experience of PAYG mobile boradband?

Want to use it as a back up of last restort, can it handle stuff like RDP or strange traffic over strange port numbers?

Am down to choosing Three or T-Mobile (I have a O2 handset I can use tethered so want another network too counter act black spots), and both of these offer 500mb "daily" usage for about £2-3 which I reckon should be enough and over HSPA+ the speed is fine for most of the stuff I will be doing.

Basically just after any advice, positive or negatives.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Bought the PAYG Orang/T-Mobile dongle this morning in HMV strangely enough. £29.99 includes 1st 3 months PAYG and then you simply top up as necessary. Only bought it because wifey is in hospital for the week and she was suffering Facebook withdrawal and the hospital has no wifi.

My own is a (Rather dated) Vodafone dongle which is total carp at connecting.
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I have a three sim only deal, £15 for 10GB a month with 1 month notice. It works pretty well.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
        Bought the PAYG Orang/T-Mobile dongle this morning in HMV strangely enough. £29.99 includes 1st 3 months PAYG and then you simply top up as necessary. Only bought it because wifey is in hospital for the week and she was suffering Facebook withdrawal and the hospital has no wifi.

My own is a (Rather dated) Vodafone dongle which is total carp at connecting.
        I was looking at that exact same one, I know you get it front loaded with 1GB of traffic to use within 3 months, its what happens after that I am trying to work out?!

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I have a three sim only deal, £15 for 10GB a month with 1 month notice. It works pretty well.
          I want to avoid the monthly contract as I don't know how often I will use it, maybe once a month so that why I was thinking the PAYG option, but I suppose if I have it I will use it more?!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            I was looking at that exact same one, I know you get it front loaded with 1GB of traffic to use within 3 months, its what happens after that I am trying to work out?!
            You just top it up same as a mobile. you even get the T-Mobile topup swipe card in the box with the dongle.

It was easy set up and it's quick to connect. you get an account page where you can monitor your usage too.

That's about as much as I know about it as only bought it just after 10am this morning
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I want to avoid the monthly contract as I don't know how often I will use it, maybe once a month so that why I was thinking the PAYG option, but I suppose if I have it I will use it more?!
              It's a one month rolling contract so not too much of a lock in. I think the break even point is about 1.5GB a month, I found it worked out cheaper as I use it quite a bit.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I've got the T-Mobile dongle. It works fine (most of the time) and seemed the best deal without needing a contract
                Points to note
                - it totally bollocksed up the dvd device. Wouldn't recognise it afer installing the dongle. Have now fixed it but you might want to google it. as I had to edit the registry to get it working again
                - it comes with a content lock on it (which I wasn't told about - wanted to play poker). When you buy it make sure you have the lock removed at the shop and take some ID with you.
                - asked about the 1Gb limit and was told that it doesn't switch off if you exceed this, but that they may restrict your downloads. Asked what a download is and was told that meant things like YouTube. Haven't tested that one yet.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I bought one of these, which I liked so much I bought another! It's very fast.
                  Huawei Premium dongle on Three

Can it handle stuff like RDP or strange traffic over strange port numbers?
                  Sorry I don't know. I use it to VPN into clientco's network, Lotus Notes and web browsing.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    I bought one of these, which I liked so much I bought another! It's very fast.
                    [url=http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2230;jsessionid=67951408AC818D21ABD15908188BCD74?p riceplan=PAYG]Huawei Premium dongle on
                    I've got one of them, was very happy with it but now it no longer holds battery charge and so is not mobile anymore.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X