• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Virgin Media Router - going wireless

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgin Media Router - going wireless

Right, the mother-in-law has got a decent new laptop and wants to go wireless. I'm not that clued up on all this malarky, but I now know that I'm with BT so I needed an ADSL wireless router but MIL is on virgin media cable. She doesn't have the super hub but a normal router. I thought I could plug in my ZyXEL NBG4615 and jobs a good un, but I noticed on the VM router there is a connection like a TV connector - so I guess I can't use the ZyXEL?

Do I have to phone up VM and ask for one of there routers to go wireless?

TIA

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Right, the mother-in-law has got a decent new laptop and wants to go wireless. I'm not that clued up on all this malarky, but I now know that I'm with BT so I needed an ADSL wireless router but MIL is on virgin media cable. She doesn't have the super hub but a normal router. I thought I could plug in my ZyXEL NBG4615 and jobs a good un, but I noticed on the VM router there is a connection like a TV connector - so I guess I can't use the ZyXEL?

Do I have to phone up VM and ask for one of there routers to go wireless?

TIA

qh
    With the next set of network upgrades VM want (and need) to upgrade all the cable modems to superhubs. Ring them up and you should be able to get the upgrade done for free and even get their people to set up the laptop to be wireless.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      With the next set of network upgrades VM want (and need) to upgrade all the cable modems to superhubs. Ring them up and you should be able to get the upgrade done for free and even get their people to set up the laptop to be wireless.
      Cheers, I will get her to ring up for the super hub, but I have managed to get it sorted by using an ethernet cable from the cable router to the wireless router. Working fine now.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
      X