• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skype - bandwidth sucking tulip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype - bandwidth sucking tulip

Number 2 son keeps using this and it sucks my bandwidth better than a big sucky thing.
    Does anyone know if it is simple to block this via the firewall? I've done a quick Google but it seems a bit technical.

That's supernode innit...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      That's supernode innit...
      What's that then.

(Ex-mainframe now a BA so assume I'm a thick non-techy)

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
        What's that then.
        Information Technology Services

This assume it's not actually your son doing a lot of video "conferencing"... or chat rouletting

Comment

Hang on, found it.
          Router connected to the internet has NAT enabled so that should stop the Supernode thingy shouldn't it?

Comment

Read the URL above, hopefully it would do the trick - disable HTTP ports which could be picked up using UPNP.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Read the URL above, hopefully it would do the trick - disable HTTP ports which could be picked up using UPNP.
              Thanks, I'll give it a try.
              He seems to have it running in the background so he can chat with his mates whilst playing Minecraft. When, after a standup arguement with much shouting and name-calling he turns it off, bandwidth returns to acceptable levels.

Actually, I may just remove the thing from his PC or maybe I'll point the shortcut to a small .exe that pops up a window that says that uncommunicative teenagers that can only speak in grunts, can't keep their rooms tidy and can't understand that they haven't got a right to internet usage have been banned from using the latest version of Skype.

Why are teenagers such little tulips?

Comment

Skype doesn't normally do that. It works well over very low-bandwidth connections in fact, so that's weird.

Have you asked on the Skype forums? Note how much it seems to be eating and go ask there, it's pretty active.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Most routers have a parental control/scheduling where you can block certain sites/ip ranges at different times.

Just google all the IP's for skype, put them in and you can block them during traffic controlled hours or limit the bandwith on it.

What router setup do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Skype doesn't normally do that. It works well over very low-bandwidth connections in fact, so that's weird.
                    Skype is P2P based, somebody has to act as a supernode to provide all the cheapness...

Comment

Working...
                    X