• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Skype - bandwidth sucking tulip"

Collapse

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    I've used it for yonks, unless it is using video conferencing it doesn't use more than a few kilobytes of bandwidth so I can't see how it could cause a problem. I very much doubt that Skype is the cause of your slowdown.

Did you try running a ping -t to your gateway and to the server you are connecting to so you can see if there are any latency issues.
    I'll give it a go tonight, cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    I've used it for yonks, unless it is using video conferencing it doesn't use more than a few kilobytes of bandwidth so I can't see how it could cause a problem. I very much doubt that Skype is the cause of your slowdown.

Did you try running a ping -t to your gateway and to the server you are connecting to so you can see if there are any latency issues.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    At least it does not cost you anything, next thing you could be asking is how to reduce your son's mobile bills ..
    Actually it does, he cost me 50 quid the other night when might connection stalled.

His mother pays his phone bills. I didn't have one in my day so why should today's kids have one?

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    At least it does not cost you anything, next thing you could be asking is how to reduce your son's mobile bills ..

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Coincidentally even I am facing the same issue. I started using Skype to do video conferencing and when I start using Skype the router crashes. Looking on the Skype forums they are advising to uncheck the uPNP checkbox. Still not sure if that works.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    You could perhaps look into using QoS to prioritise the non skype traffic.

Even fairly low bandwidth streaming services can be disruptive as they fill up the buffers in each piece of hardware in the chain, depending on the buffer size you can end up with considerable increase in latency and even dropped packets all of which plays havoc with TCP.
    Unfortunately there isn't any QoS functionality on the access point he uses and the QoS on the Netgear one is rubbish. You can set it up for various MAC addresses so I can target individual devices but ut actually seems to make things worse so I've turned it off. I was wondering if it is because the devices that I want to adjust the QoS for are going in via the access point before they get to the Netgear one.

I think I need a course.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    An article I read said being a supernode only uses about 5Kb/s of traffic. Unless you get further 'upgraded' to being used for file-transfer relays.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by alluvial View Post
    I've never used or even been tempted to use Skype before so I haven't a clue how it works (dropping into numpty mode here).

My setup is a router that hosts the internet connection and wired to this I have a second router configured as an access point. The boy is connecting wirelessley to this and I am using a wired connection to it as well.

Trouble is, the wireless connectivity to the rubbish Netgear router (the internet connection) is almost non-existent so everyone connects to the second (a linksys) that has a really good wireless range. What with all the devices in the house these days, I suppose traffic can get a bit heavy.

Brief investigation on the web seems to be saying that if NAT is enabled on the router (is on the Netgear) then it can't be used as a supernode.

Things are fine when he hasn't got Skype so, I'm assuming that it is just traffic and it's causing a bottleneck hence I was hoping that I could just block it.

I don't think I'll spend too much time on it, if he doesn't play ball, he'll find the access restrictions being turned on again and all internet access will be curtailed which will rather hamper his Xbox social life.
    You could perhaps look into using QoS to prioritise the non skype traffic.

Even fairly low bandwidth streaming services can be disruptive as they fill up the buffers in each piece of hardware in the chain, depending on the buffer size you can end up with considerable increase in latency and even dropped packets all of which plays havoc with TCP.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    I've never used or even been tempted to use Skype before so I haven't a clue how it works (dropping into numpty mode here).

My setup is a router that hosts the internet connection and wired to this I have a second router configured as an access point. The boy is connecting wirelessley to this and I am using a wired connection to it as well.

Trouble is, the wireless connectivity to the rubbish Netgear router (the internet connection) is almost non-existent so everyone connects to the second (a linksys) that has a really good wireless range. What with all the devices in the house these days, I suppose traffic can get a bit heavy.

Brief investigation on the web seems to be saying that if NAT is enabled on the router (is on the Netgear) then it can't be used as a supernode.

Things are fine when he hasn't got Skype so, I'm assuming that it is just traffic and it's causing a bottleneck hence I was hoping that I could just block it.

I don't think I'll spend too much time on it, if he doesn't play ball, he'll find the access restrictions being turned on again and all internet access will be curtailed which will rather hamper his Xbox social life.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Exactly - a tiny percentage of users, hence this is not normal.

Is there a way to check if you are being used as a SN other than guessing based on resource usage?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Skype doesn't normally do that. It works well over very low-bandwidth connections in fact, so that's weird.
    Skype is P2P based, somebody has to act as a supernode to provide all the cheapness...

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    Most routers have a parental control/scheduling where you can block certain sites/ip ranges at different times.

Just google all the IP's for skype, put them in and you can block them during traffic controlled hours or limit the bandwith on it.

What router setup do you have?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Skype doesn't normally do that. It works well over very low-bandwidth connections in fact, so that's weird.

Have you asked on the Skype forums? Note how much it seems to be eating and go ask there, it's pretty active.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Read the URL above, hopefully it would do the trick - disable HTTP ports which could be picked up using UPNP.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    He seems to have it running in the background so he can chat with his mates whilst playing Minecraft. When, after a standup arguement with much shouting and name-calling he turns it off, bandwidth returns to acceptable levels.

Actually, I may just remove the thing from his PC or maybe I'll point the shortcut to a small .exe that pops up a window that says that uncommunicative teenagers that can only speak in grunts, can't keep their rooms tidy and can't understand that they haven't got a right to internet usage have been banned from using the latest version of Skype.

Why are teenagers such little tulips?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Read the URL above, hopefully it would do the trick - disable HTTP ports which could be picked up using UPNP.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X