• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newish laptop with 20" screen

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newish laptop with 20" screen

I'm not having much luck searching for a recently or (preferably) newly released laptop with a 20+" screen.

Some of the HP Pavilion models have a 17.3" screen; but I'd prefer a larger screen if possible, without having to buy some antiquated 2nd hand model.

Any ideas? TIA

P.S. As always, money is no object (up to say £2K)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Thought Dell did one but can't find it on their site, so maybe no longer available.

Dell XPS M2010.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

How often do you drag the laptop about? I have had power user laptops in the past and they are always a P.I.A to wander around with. personally my cash would go on a 17in mac pro. They have a much higher screen resolution than normal laptops so you get the equivalent of a 20 screen estate without too much stress or size.

Comment

Well all the searches I did come back with a few models back from 2006/2007 which are probably dire so would say market forces have spoken and they are no more.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yeah, thats a rare form factor these days, you'd maybe have to look at dedicated gaming laptops such as the Alienware ones but they are £big and if you aren't using it for gaming then you are wasting what one of those is really designed for.

I'd go a high-end 17" MBP, theres your 2 grand gone.

Comment

I actually had a 17" MBP, and it was a PITA to lug around. I'd go for a 'normal' sized laptop - probably 15" and spend the extra wonga on a 27-30" screen at each end of your commute.

Way more flexible, and in 2 years when the laptop is out of date, you can refresh it without a massive cost overhead again.
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Have you considered laser eye surgery?

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                Have you considered laser eye surgery?
                Or a shrink-ray. That way he could save cash, buy a 13" MacBook Air and it'd look mahoosive! It's the win-win solution!

Comment

HP EliteBooks are available with a 17" 1920x1080 screen. Those or the macbook are your best bet. If you just want resolution some 15" can be ordered with a full HD screen e.g. Lenovo T520 & W520
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

HP | CleverBoxes - CH549EA#ABU | HP Pavilion HDX9310EA CH549EA 51 cm (20") Notebook - Core 2 Duo T8100 2.10 GHz - 1680 x 1050 WSXGA+ Display - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - Blu-ray Reader/DVD-Writer - nVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS - Bluetooth - Webcam - Windows
                    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Working...
                    X