• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flashback trojan reportedly controls half a million Macs and counting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I use Avast (i still have Windows in my blood, I just don't like the idea of not having an AV and avast did warn me off a website a couple of days ago).
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I just bought an iPad 3 - do I need a virus checker???

Tone

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        does anyone here actually use any antivirus on their mac?
        Nope, but I do have Little Snitch - it keeps an eye on what's trying to send data out to the internet.

It costs €30, but I'm not sure it's worth that, I got it with one of those Mac Bundles that appear from time to time.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Nope, but I do have Little Snitch - it keeps an eye on what's trying to send data out to the internet.

It costs €30, but I'm not sure it's worth that, I got it with one of those Mac Bundles that appear from time to time.
          There's an app for that:

Mac Bundle Watcher is a free menubar app tracking over 20 Mac bundle sites (MacHeist, TheMacSale, etc.) and daily deals on discounted Mac software (MacUpdate Promo, macZOT, …).

You can see details about each new Mac Bundle and other deals & discounts on Mac software by clicking on the Mac Bundle Watcher icon in your menubar
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by mos View Post
            I am afraid that Macs became one season toys …
            I must remember to tell that to the 2006 MacBook I still use on a daily basis

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Which is why I bought a Mac. I had 7 years use out of the Fujitsu Siemens I had, which had a build quality you don't see in PCs any more.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                does anyone here actually use any antivirus on their mac?
                Nope but when I ran that last Apple update on my MBP it reported the Flashback trojan was there and it had removed it which surprised me as its a pure work machine and not used for much browsing. I blame CUK.

May try that ClamAV freebie they have on the app store.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  I only retired my 2002 iBook 6 months ago because I needed the desk space for other things.

It couldn't keep up with the high definition video or Javascript we have nowadays, but it was fine for music, mail and as a file and print server.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Which is why I bought a Mac. I had 7 years use out of the Fujitsu Siemens I had, which had a build quality you don't see in PCs any more.
                    Ironically, 7 years with Fujitsu and I went through 11 Fujitsu-Siemens laptops... The main reason I wouldnt touch one again!
                    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Working...
                    X