• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mac as a server

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac as a server

Anyone tried this? Windows (7) is fab for this, shared drives etc. I'm fairly new to Mac but love my mac book pro and wondering if its worth replacing the whole house with Macs.

I need back up and shared drives (offline access too), media centre (which if I go with Apple TV is fine, but will xbox connect to itunes??) etc. I'm moving towards building / having a system with raid to protect the disks, just waiting prices to drop again!! Can Mac do RAID?
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

I am no expert but I think all you need is good NAS .....

You don't really need the Mac 'mini' sever at all from what you have said so far.

I Have a synology DS408 NAS with 4*2TB HDD's in raid configuration at home.

All laptops in the house, Samsung TV, ATV2, Ipad, Iphone, Sonos, PS3 all connect to it for media ...... and Data storage....

I use the mac mini server to hold multiple Virtual machines (i remote desktop into) for downloading/sandboxing, Oracle database developments ..., and as a plex media server

So, I would say get a NAS 1st, and then see what your other needs are before splashing out on a mac server.

css_jay99

Comment

I use my mac-mini as a kind of home server it is hooked up to my projector for movies etc.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
        I use my mac-mini as a kind of home server it is hooked up to my projector for movies etc.
        That's not really a server surely its a media pc also acting as a server.

I think a mac mini is rather expensive for a server. A decent NAS which supports multiple disks would be a better bet and far cheaper.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
          wondering if its worth replacing the whole house with Macs
          There's a proper contractor approach to things
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            That's not really a server surely its a media pc also acting as a server.

I think a mac mini is rather expensive for a server. A decent NAS which supports multiple disks would be a better bet and far cheaper.
            D-Link NAS + 2 x 1tb HDD ordered next day delivery! Had decent on storage and media server reviews so worth a punt!

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            There's a proper contractor approach to things
            Of course! Sledge Hammer to crack a nut...
            I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Working...
            X