• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Domain Name Lengths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Domain Name Lengths

Someone is wanting me to knock up a website for them, they are a local charity and have quite a long name (Hyphenated-DistrictA and DistrictB Children's Center) I know I could go the full name but obviously something snappier will be better, but HDDCC doesn't give an idea of the organisation.

Is there a good rule of thumbs for choosing a domain name?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Two things I would consider. Firstly can you communicate it word of mouth such that people will remember and find it and secondly I would try and use the URL to show relavance to the site for search engines.

Based on that I would personally look at HHDChildrensCenter. I am not a fan of hypens in URLs so would try and avoid that.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Be careful adding words together would be my advice.

The new Gas Safe Register http://www.gasheating.co.uk is a prime example of that)
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        Be careful adding words together would be my advice.

The new Gas Safe Register Central heating - Answers - Central Heating is a prime example of that)
        There are so many good ones.

http://Www.Penisland.com
        http://www.Therapistfinder.com
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          HHDChildrensCenter
          or should it be HHDChildrenCenter?...keep it simple, without the pluralisation if possible.

Also remember that you can use SEO for somebody typing the name of the place in to find hhdcc.org.uk or whatever, so you dont have to use the name of the entity in the domain name.

GE

Comment

Do they have a snappy tagline in their advertising?

Don't forget that you can point several domain names at the same site, if you think of a better one later, or they run a particular campaign.
            World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Now wisely called http://www.counselingcalifornia.com/
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

What are they known as locally.

Its the shortened version of what people call them that you need to use.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I would personally look at HHDChildrensCentre
                  Unless your client is actually American, of course.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
                    Do they have a snappy tagline in their advertising?

Don't forget that you can point several domain names at the same site, if you think of a better one later, or they run a particular campaign.
                    Personally, I would go with something like this, something snappy like kiddycare.com or whatever ..... What exactly does the business do? Is it just a network of nursery groups?

Comment

Working...
                    X