• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

iPhone/iPad Development Plan B

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPhone/iPad Development Plan B

Having got myself Appled up, I have been watching the Stanford videos on ios dev. I know C pretty well and OO so Objective C and using XCode looks fairly easy. I plan to write some apps for iPad and maybe iPhone as a plan B. Anyone done this? Im pretty sure the technical side will be no problem it's the idea that will take a lot of thought, but I have a few ideas already.

Originally posted by russell View Post
    Having got myself Appled up, I have been watching the Stanford videos on ios dev. I know C pretty well and OO so Objective C and using XCode looks fairly easy. I plan to write some apps for iPad and maybe iPhone as a plan B. Anyone done this? Im pretty sure the technical side will be no problem it's the idea that will take a lot of thought, but I have a few ideas already.
    Its the marketing that will be the issue never the application and the idea.

Apps have two particular issues:-

1) getting someone to download it
    2) getting someone to actually keep it.

Many people seem to think that if you build it they will come, that is not the case nowadays.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Its the marketing that will be the issue never the application and the idea.

Apps have two particular issues:-

1) getting someone to download it
      2) getting someone to actually keep it.

Many people seem to think that if you build it they will come, that is not the case nowadays.
      I normally search for apps and install them, I don't really install things just because they are HOT or featured by some mag. If your app is solid and does a specific thing that many people find useful then it will get downloaded.

Comment

I normally search for apps and install them, I don't really install things just because they are HOT or featured by some mag. If your app is solid and does a specific thing that many people find useful then it will get downloaded.
        If you say so.

Comment

If you say so.
          Can you share your experience when you released your app?, you did release one didn't you? Otherwise you are hardly qualified to give an opinion. If you or someone else has released as app I would be happy to accept take on board your'e/their advice/tips.
          Last edited by russell; 20 March 2012, 10:01.

Comment

Can you share your experience when you released your app?, you did release one didn't you? Otherwise you are hardly qualified to give an opinion.
            I don't do apps. However, I do know is some people who have successfully launched apps and the same people who have unsuccessfully launched apps.

The difference in both cases is getting some PR to build initial sales. Initial downloads lead to appearing on the charts which leads to more sales, which leads to more time in the chart.

App discovery is the really big problem for apps and Apple are spending millions buying anyone who may make it easier see Apple Acquires Chomp; App Store Search And Discovery To Be Completely Revamped | TechCrunch for just one example.

The one thing I wanted to emphasis is that writing something on the basis of if its there people will come may not be the best approach. Yes some people may find it but considering how bad Apple's app search system currently is I really wouldn't want to bet on it. Just try to find the iOS equivalent of google's sky map to see what I mean.
            To ensure you pick the correct one its a £1.99 app from memory.

As such I really think you need to find someone who has already launched apps and get some advice on how to ensure you app is launched with slightly more than a damp squid.

Comment

It depend if your app is a generic fun thing, or targeted at a niche. The latter allows more scope not to need massive marketing, if your app meets a need people are searching for.

Russ you were only slagging the iPad off last week though... are you for real here?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I don't do apps. However, I do know is some people who have successfully launched apps and the same people who have unsuccessfully launched apps.

The difference in both cases is getting some PR to build initial sales. Initial downloads lead to appearing on the charts which leads to more sales, which leads to more time in the chart.

App discovery is the really big problem for apps and Apple are spending millions buying anyone who may make it easier see Apple Acquires Chomp; App Store Search And Discovery To Be Completely Revamped | TechCrunch for just one example.

The one thing I wanted to emphasis is that writing something on the basis of if its there people will come may not be the best approach. Yes some people may find it but considering how bad Apple's app search system currently is I really wouldn't want to bet on it. Just try to find the iOS equivalent of google's sky map to see what I mean.
                To ensure you pick the correct one its a £1.99 app from memory.

As such I really think you need to find someone who has already launched apps and get some advice on how to ensure you app is launched with slightly more than a damp squid.
                Thanks, I think getting app out there then focusing on marketing after may be a strategy.

Comment

Something fishy here!!

Comment

Anyone done this?

Yep, what do you want to know? Marketing wasn't an issue for mine as it accompanies another established Plan B so I just used the normal Facebook and Tweeter plugs along with a bit of magazine advertising and job was a goodun'.

Comment

Working...
                    X