• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Publishing an app without going via apple?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The further I delve into the exciting world of appery, the more TLAs I learn.

It seems that I may need a Mobile App Manager (MAM) as well as a MDM.

A US company called Antenna Software crop up a lot in my research - anybody used them/hate them/recommend an alternative to them?

Also, a lot of the products deliver and install apple apps - do the vendors have to buy licenses from apple to do this i.e. they're a front end/management system for apple technology? I don't mind if that's the case (it's our customers who wind up paying), just wondering.
    Last edited by Pete Marsh; 19 March 2012, 11:33.

Comment

I'm surprised no one's mentioned HTML5 Webapps yet - you can install them to your home screen on both iOS and Android and its very easy to deploy updates that way. It should also be very easy to produce one since your manuals are either already in HTML or can be converted to it very easily.

PM me if you need any help setting that up.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
        Tech docs should be HTML, you can then add the web page to the home screen so,you get a nice little app button, think you can also control the icon similar to favicon type thing. To create an actual app for tech docs is using the wrong technology.
        Originally posted by yasockie View Post
        I'm surprised no one's mentioned HTML5 Webapps yet - you can install them to your home screen on both iOS and Android and its very easy to deploy updates that way. It should also be very easy to produce one since your manuals are either already in HTML or can be converted to it very easily.

PM me if you need any help setting that up.

Comment

Final call for nominations for Mobile App Managers (MAM)...

I'm almost at the stage of contacting folk who can host and manage our apps and thought I'd ask one last time if anyone here could recommend any MAMs.

So far I'm looking at Maas360, Antenna, and at a push, the native app stores like Apple Enterprise and Google Play (was Android Market).

Any more for any more? Esp UK based co's.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
            I'm surprised no one's mentioned HTML5 Webapps yet
            <cough>
            Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I think the only way to do the latter would be to make it into an HTML5 app.

Originally posted by wxman View Post
            I've not come across these things before... is the basic principle they run an enterprise store so you can just give them the app to host?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

<cough>

I've not come across these things before... is the basic principle they run an enterprise store so you can just give them the app to host?
              Well we've not tried it yet so I'm only going on the website blurb, but in principle if I write an app, then we can hire an hosting service like Antenna (google antenna app hosting) and they host a the app for us. They also update them for us. I think such companies can do the mobile device manager (MDM) thing whereby the app can be remotely 'killed' if an employee leaves etc.

Like wxman's example of a 25 ipad 'fleet' and its custom apps being managed remotely for £3.50 pm per device.

Comment

Sounds pretty cool. I discussed doing a private iPad app with a potential plan B client and was similarly concerned about setting up the infrastructure.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Sounds pretty cool. I discussed doing a private iPad app with a potential plan B client and was similarly concerned about setting up the infrastructure.
                  Yes, I don't think our corporate clients would be too impressed if we suggested deploying their android apps via Google Play! The MDM vendors allow the app and it's data to be deleted if the phone or tablet gets nicked/lost.

Comment

Working...
                  X