• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Publishing an app without going via apple?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Publishing an app without going via apple?

My current employer has expressed a wish to put out my tech docs as an app (either on android or iphone). I've had a look on the apple website and they seem to only have:
    • developer program to publish apps via their app store
    • enterprise program for internal corporate distribution and installation (after installing their SDK on the corporate server I assume)

https://developer.apple.com/programs/start/ios/

Is there any way of hosting and installing iphone apps from a website without going via apple?

I presume android apps are pretty much a free for all in comparison.

There is another option where you can directly load your app onto an iPad/Phone from the dev PC, but I think it's limited to 100 devices (or so) and requires you to physically plug it in. For internal projects this might be OK.

I did know this better since I asked about it a while ago, but I cannot remember where! But the option I mention is called "ad hoc" distribution: https://developer.apple.com/programs...istribute.html. Search for ios ad hoc.

Can you clarify "without going by Apple"? You don't want it in the appstore, or you don't want it anything to do with Apple? I think the only way to do the latter would be to make it into an HTML5 app.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      There is another option where you can directly load your app onto an ....

Can you clarify "without going by Apple"? You don't want it in the appstore, or you don't want it anything to do with Apple? I think the only way to do the latter would be to make it into an HTML5 app.
      Thanks for the Ad Hoc solution - that could work for small numbers of apps, I'll look into it.

Re avoiding Apple: One idea I'm looking into is some way of hosting both android and apple versions of our apps on the corporate website and having them downloadable and installable. But without having to put the iOS Enterprise Program stuff on there. A bit like treating them as if they were a bunch of PDFs that can be just downloaded and used. I'm guessing in the world of apple this is just waaay to simple an approach?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Marsh View Post
        Thanks for the Ad Hoc solution - that could work for small numbers of apps, I'll look into it.

Re avoiding Apple: One idea I'm looking into is some way of hosting both android and apple versions of our apps on the corporate website and having them downloadable and installable. But without having to put the iOS Enterprise Program stuff on there. A bit like treating them as if they were a bunch of PDFs that can be just downloaded and used. I'm guessing in the world of apple this is just waaay to simple an approach?
        You can download PDF's from any website but you can only install apps through the app store or enterprise program.

Comment

For android apps it's the case indeed, especially if you're creating a wrap application. I had mine installed on the m.domain.com which is presented to all mobile viewers and invites them to download the app right away.

iOS is very restrictive, expect them to decline the App if it doesn't mean their fuzzy "design reqs"

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            You can download PDF's from any website but you can only install apps through the app store or enterprise program.
            Thanks. I guess the obvious app store is what is now Google Play.

Can you name any Enterprise Programs I can take a look at for distributing Android apps?

Comment

Sounds like you need an MDM (Mobile device managment system)

We use Mobile Device Management, Application Management & Expense Management from the Cloud | MaaS360 by Fiberlink in order to control our fleet of 25 iPads but it also supports Andriod and BlackBerry.

It has an enterprise store so that apps can be pushed out to the devices. Cost is £3.50/device/month.
              Last edited by wxman; 18 March 2012, 17:08.
              www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Marsh View Post
                My current employer has expressed a wish to put out my tech docs as an app (either on android or iphone). I've had a look on the apple website and they seem to only have:
                • developer program to publish apps via their app store
                • enterprise program for internal corporate distribution and installation (after installing their SDK on the corporate server I assume)

https://developer.apple.com/programs/start/ios/

Is there any way of hosting and installing iphone apps from a website without going via apple?

I presume android apps are pretty much a free for all in comparison.
                Tech docs should be HTML, you can then add the web page to the home screen so,you get a nice little app button, think you can also control the icon similar to favicon type thing. To create an actual app for tech docs is using the wrong technology.

Comment

Originally posted by wxman View Post
                  Sounds like to need an MDM (Mobile device managment system)

We use Mobile Device Management, Application Management & Expense Management from the Cloud | MaaS360 by Fiberlink in order to control our fleet of 25 iPads but it also supports Andriod and BlackBerry.

It has an enterprise store so that apps can be push out to the devices. Cost is £3.50/device/month.
                  Thanks, that's just the sort of thing we're looking for.

Re russell's comment about the delivery format needing to be html - the app route has been chosen for me for several valid reasons, so that's the hand I've been dealt!

Comment

yes give the Maas fiberlink a go (30 day free trial) - PM me if you need a good vender in order to support you

Enterprise App Manageability: Mobile apps distributed by MaaS360 to iOS 5 devices become fully controlled, allowing you to simplify app deployments while increasing manageability. With MaaS360 and iOS 5 you can:
                    • Remotely push an app to a device. This is in addition to MaaS360’s existing application catalog for end users
                    • Delete an app and its data, on-demand or as part of a selective wipe action
                    • Automatically remove corporate apps if the user deletes the MDM profile on the device
                    • Allow/prevent app backups to iTunes or iCloud
                    www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Working...
                    X