• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Model Train Set up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Model Train Set up

Hello,

anybody got a model train set up?

I am going to get my lad some track and trains (and me heh!)

What are good things to get? - not collector items.

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
    Hello,

Darren Upton may have one going spare.

We used to have a great layout in the loft. Started with a Thomas the Tank Engine circuit and grew and grew and grew. Had a big layout round trestle tables, chicken wire and papier mache hills and tunnels and the rather nice 'grand suspension bridge'. Beware, it gets expensive quickly!

Since we moved (13 years ago!) it's sat in the garage unused. Keep saying we should flog it, but hubby says he'll set it up again 'one day'...

Comment

Hello,

Depends whether you want a train set or want a model railway.

If a train set, just get a hornby trak mat and the relevant set track. You'd get away with an anolog controller.

If you want a model railway, the world is your oyster. I'd start with an NCE DCC control for about £130. This will allow you to control 2 HO \ OO scale trains on the same track at the same time if you wish. DCC gives you the ability to control points and signals from the same NCE unit.

DCC also give you the option to buy locomotives with sound, both steam and diesel. Expect to pay around £190 per loco. A non sound DCC loco are about £100 or thereabouts.

Regards track, you'd want to get PECO Streamline 100. This is the most useable scale like railway track in profile. You can go Streamline 75 which is even more scale like but more delicate to use.

Rolling stock, you have a good choice from Hornby and Bachman across all eras.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

thanks,

I read that getting a freight set makes it interesting for the kids to pick up and drop off to the sidings.

...sounds like a frieght DCC version with sound would be ace.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Depends whether you want a train set or want a model railway.
          This is the key point. Either you can spend £100 or so on a set to go in the lounge as a weekend toy, or you spend thousands or more on a proper model railway. A proper model set is a lifestyle hobby and renders one of your rooms in the home useless, it goes well beyond a toy.

A proper model railway is laid out on a board, with scenery, tracks, etc etc. If you need some help or advice, I can help with a lot of insight. Had my set and worked on it for over six years.

When I was younger I had a 10ftx4ft cross-beamed board (very important to put in cross beams as the set gets heavy, so the frame needs to support the weight). It had an outer loop. inner loop, tunnel, hill and suspension bridge, upper main station, sidings. Best way to really utilise that space as it gives the most track area.

The track isnt too pricey, you can get the track and controllers to do a good amount of track for £200. The cost is in the scale models (around £90 for a basic intercity/virgin set); the signals (£5 each at least), houses/station buildings (£5-150), cars/buses (around £25), level crossings, etc. You can lay the track and use chicken netting and foam to create the land and basic scenery and even a few cheats for trees, but most of the expense is in the scale models. Even the people can cost a small fortune once you buy a lot of them.
          Last edited by wim121; 27 February 2012, 22:13.

Comment

thanks, I think we will just dip a toe in the water to see if he likes it.

Question - I see you can buy the DCC chips seperately - can you retro fit them on to a non-DCC locomotive? I guess thats what they are for

I like the old diesel/deltic/DMU which are pre DCC and not 'DCC ready'

Comment

P4 is the only way forward...

Em for those who can't go the whole 18.83mm.....

Comment

Just to add that whilst perusing ebay a few months back I found a few sellers that were offering track, rolling stock and other bits and bobs (all OO gauge/hornby) for a set cost (depending on what you wanted), bit of a cheats way to start but it seems like a quick way to get setup initially.

Free Track Plans for your Model Railway looks good. tulip, this could get addictive, any way of making this tax deductable?

qh
                Last edited by quackhandle; 28 February 2012, 11:55.
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

It appears Mumsnet still haven't forgiven us then....
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

thanks, I think we will just dip a toe in the water to see if he likes it.

Question - I see you can buy the DCC chips seperately - can you retro fit them on to a non-DCC locomotive? I guess thats what they are for

I like the old diesel/deltic/DMU which are pre DCC and not 'DCC ready'
                    You can buy DCC fitted and DCC Ready locos. Obviously DCC fitted does what it says on the tin. DCC ready means there's a DCC socket fitted with a blanking plug. You have to remove this then just plug in the DCC chip making sure its fitted with the righ pins in the socket.

You can retro fit 'old' non DCC locos but, you have to solder the chip fly leads to the relevant contacts on the loco motor (which isnt hard).

What you have to watch for though is old Hornby Dublo or Tri Ang locos and rolling stock have bigger wheel flanges. Add in the more scale like profile of modern track and you can have problems with the wheels grounding on the track.

If you search Hattons or Rails of Sheffield, you'll find there are DCC ready DMU's from Cravens to Derbys plus, Deltics, Type 23 etc, etc.

I wouldnt recommend running old dublo or tri ang stock on modern profile track.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    It appears Mumsnet still haven't forgiven us then....
                    Ya big bore!
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X