• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting a blog

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a blog

Any recommendations for a good secure place to start a blog, that doesn't involve paid web hosting?

I just whacked my Google account, taking my blog with it; but luckily I had all the posts backed up. (But, as for my Google email address, it says the blog URL is reserved - hmmm.)

Ideally I'd also like a built-in MathJax plugin, rather than having to reference http://www.mathjax.org. In any case, how on Earth can one include a "script" element in a blog post, as described here, when the input box is simply a text box?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Any recommendations for a good secure place to start a blog, that doesn't involve paid web hosting?

I just whacked my Google account, taking my blog with it; but luckily I had all the posts backed up. (But, as for my Google email address, it says the blog URL is reserved - hmmm.)

Ideally I'd also like a built-in MathJax plugin, rather than having to reference http://www.mathjax.org. In any case, how on Earth can one include a "script" element in a blog post, as described here, when the input box is simply a text box?
    Wordpress? Blogspot?
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

when the input box is simply a text box?
      Not sure what you mean there.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

As said before Wordpress of Blogspot
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Not sure what you mean there.
          A Text Box can take 2 forms. A 1 Liner or box that caters for more than one line (aka a Text Box).
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

As for the scripting side, I think most free blog providers will probably limit this, you may need your own host which allows some scripting through cron jobs etc.

If you do go down the hosted route I would recommend Vidahost basic package is £17 a year
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I think you would need to put it into the overall template.

Using MathJax in popular web platforms — MathJax v1.1 documentation
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                I think you would need to put it into the overall template.

Using MathJax in popular web platforms — MathJax v1.1 documentation
                But is an overall template something I can maintain, in a free hosted service?

£20 per year or something for paid hosting is a trifle, so it's not the cost. The problem is I'd inevitably forget to pay and lose the lot. (I don't do direct debits, except for my mortgage.)

Also, conversely, I've heard that some of these paid-for web hosting sites are remarkably hard to relinquish, if you decide to move. They just keep renewing automatically year after year, nagging you with bills and final demands, even when you've long since stopped using them.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Also, conversely, I've heard that some of these paid-for web hosting sites are remarkably hard to relinquish, if you decide to move. They just keep renewing automatically year after year, nagging you with bills and final demands, even when you've long since stopped using them.
                  Funny enough I just got an email yesterday from a domain I used to manage. claiming that it had no disk space left.

Well it would, wouldn't it? Especially when it was agreed in court that they wouldn't bill me again.

And that domain is looking fairly healthy and hosted elsewhere by somebody else
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                  X