• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Starting a blog

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Starting a blog"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Also, conversely, I've heard that some of these paid-for web hosting sites are remarkably hard to relinquish, if you decide to move. They just keep renewing automatically year after year, nagging you with bills and final demands, even when you've long since stopped using them.
    Funny enough I just got an email yesterday from a domain I used to manage. claiming that it had no disk space left.

Well it would, wouldn't it? Especially when it was agreed in court that they wouldn't bill me again.

And that domain is looking fairly healthy and hosted elsewhere by somebody else

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I think you would need to put it into the overall template.

Using MathJax in popular web platforms — MathJax v1.1 documentation
    But is an overall template something I can maintain, in a free hosted service?

£20 per year or something for paid hosting is a trifle, so it's not the cost. The problem is I'd inevitably forget to pay and lose the lot. (I don't do direct debits, except for my mortgage.)

Also, conversely, I've heard that some of these paid-for web hosting sites are remarkably hard to relinquish, if you decide to move. They just keep renewing automatically year after year, nagging you with bills and final demands, even when you've long since stopped using them.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Ideally I'd also like a built-in MathJax plugin, rather than having to reference http://www.mathjax.org. In any case, how on Earth can one include a "script" element in a blog post, as described here, when the input box is simply a text box?
    I think you would need to put it into the overall template.

Using MathJax in popular web platforms — MathJax v1.1 documentation

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    As for the scripting side, I think most free blog providers will probably limit this, you may need your own host which allows some scripting through cron jobs etc.

If you do go down the hosted route I would recommend Vidahost basic package is £17 a year

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Not sure what you mean there.
    A Text Box can take 2 forms. A 1 Liner or box that caters for more than one line (aka a Text Box).

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    As said before Wordpress of Blogspot

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    when the input box is simply a text box?
    Not sure what you mean there.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Any recommendations for a good secure place to start a blog, that doesn't involve paid web hosting?

I just whacked my Google account, taking my blog with it; but luckily I had all the posts backed up. (But, as for my Google email address, it says the blog URL is reserved - hmmm.)

Ideally I'd also like a built-in MathJax plugin, rather than having to reference http://www.mathjax.org. In any case, how on Earth can one include a "script" element in a blog post, as described here, when the input box is simply a text box?
    Wordpress? Blogspot?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    started a topic Starting a blog

Starting a blog

Any recommendations for a good secure place to start a blog, that doesn't involve paid web hosting?

I just whacked my Google account, taking my blog with it; but luckily I had all the posts backed up. (But, as for my Google email address, it says the blog URL is reserved - hmmm.)

Working...
X