• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to set up central shared server at home?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set up central shared server at home?

hey all

We have 3 computers, 2 iphones, an iPad and now a Wifi enabled 60" TV.

I'd like to have a central server - a 1Tb disk let's say - to store all media and possibly other files and to have all above devices access it wirelessly to stream data.

Can you advise how best to do this?

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    hey all

We have 3 computers, 2 iphones, an iPad and now a Wifi enabled 60" TV.

I'd like to have a central server - a 1Tb disk let's say - to store all media and possibly other files and to have all above devices access it wirelessly to stream data.

Can you advise how best to do this?
    I am in the process of looking at this, after getting home last night to find my home built server's motherboard fried.

Anyway, for hardware I have ordered one of these hp microserver on eBay which is £150 after cashback so pretty tidy. Only 250GB but very easy to add drives.

Software is trickier. I have a Microsoft Action Pack subscription which has Windows Home Server 2008; this has been pretty good for all the things you've described and is a doddle to set up if you are already Windows based.

Just found out that the action pack will not have Home Server 2011 "Vail" but does have Storage Server which is the same product but can have 25 computers and be added to a domain. So I'm going to give it a go when my box arrives.

There are plenty of linux options. As usual linux is free if your time is cheap.

Streaming media usually requires something 3rd party like Plex or Tversity. Not done too much with this, just usually run things on the TV via a pc connected to the home server. The thing to look for is DLNA compatibility, should be able to stream to any device on your network.

HTH
    Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

I'm using Windows Home Server 2011, nice and easy to configure, running on one of these...
      HP ProLiant Turion II N40L MicroServer - £100.. | Ebuyer.com

Comment

You really want the cost of a new server and the power it consumes??

i have an iOmega Cloud Edition Media server. its low power and shows up as a media server to my smart TV.

Comment

get a NAS server, I have a Synology 411j with a wireless dongle, looks ugly as feck but that makes no difference as it's hidden away in a cupboard. streams media, has RAID, ideal
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I use a PopcornHour, connected by ethernet cable to the router, and HDMI cable to the TV. Originally came without drive, then I used a 1TB drive, which has now been replaced with a 2TB drive. Since it's got 1.6TB of TV / films on it, I don't use it for music, though.

Since it's a Samba drive, it can then be accessed by any of the machines on the network (not tried connecting my Android phone to it, though).

I also have a NAS drive which everything connects to - I can stream over the network to the TV via the PopcornHour box as well.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              get a NAS server, I have a Synology 411j with a wireless dongle, looks ugly as feck but that makes no difference as it's hidden away in a cupboard. streams media, has RAID, ideal
              WHS

Comment

I have a ReadyNas Duo with 2 x 2tb HDD in a raid configuration, ugly & noise but bullet proof reliability.
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  I use a PopcornHour, connected by ethernet cable to the router, and HDMI cable to the TV. Originally came without drive, then I used a 1TB drive, which has now been replaced with a 2TB drive. Since it's got 1.6TB of TV / films on it, I don't use it for music, though.

Since it's a Samba drive, it can then be accessed by any of the machines on the network (not tried connecting my Android phone to it, though).

I also have a NAS drive which everything connects to - I can stream over the network to the TV via the PopcornHour box as well.
                  Can someone translate this in to English for me I push pens about so this means absolutely f all to me!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have a QNAP TS412 that does all that, trouble is with it is it just disappears off the network after time. It's Linux you see. Connectivity kinda essential for a NAS though....

Wish I'd gone with plan A, which was to install either OpenSolaris or the new Solaris 11 onto the old Ultra 45, with the four 2TB SATA disks which are now in the NAS, ZFS and data-dedup and no dropping off the network because it's ProperOS. All the other tulipe will run on it too, possible not the surveillance camera stuff tho. I was seduced by the QNAP's low power consumption....

Comment

Working...
                    X