• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Connecting Laptop To TV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting Laptop To TV

Simple question I image for the teccie experts - what sort of cable do I need to connect my laptop to the tv (which has HDMI) so I can watch tv via the internet ?

TIA

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Simple question I image for the teccie experts - what sort of cable do I need to connect my laptop to the tv (which has HDMI) so I can watch tv via the internet ?

TIA
    It depends what sort of outputs your laptop has.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

We just use a standard VGA cable (same as you would connect to a projector for powerpoint) and a 3.5mm jack-jack cable, for a grand total of about £3.

If your laptop had HDMI out that would probably be better, but ours doesn't and most TVs tend to have VGA input.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

VGA cable doesn't have sound unless you got one of those clever ones with the 2 extra jacks on for mic and speakers.

Trying to watch a dvd on the laptop thry tv with sound coming out of laptop is very unsatisfying
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          We just use a standard VGA cable (same as you would connect to a projector for powerpoint) and a 3.5mm jack-jack cable, for a grand total of about £3.

If your laptop had HDMI out that would probably be better, but ours doesn't and most TVs tend to have VGA input.
          Depending on the laptop it can also be a pain getting the audio to work through the HDMI.
          I presume ideally it should automatically happen. However my dads laptop always needs to have the audio device settings changed through control panel each time you plug it in via HDMI (or unplug it, to change the settings back again).In the end decided it was just easier to use VGA+3.5mm jack-jack cable.

Comment

Put an Xbox or PS3 between them and stream it through Twonky Media! Or if the TV is a "Smart TV" with built in DLNA player then just stream, no wires what so ever!!

Can pick up a cheap network enabled streamer for £30-£40 on ebay.
            There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

Comment

I need help please to solve my initial query... I bought one of these cables http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-8M-RCA-CAB...2621318&sr=1-3 as no hdmi on laptop and only have vga output.

However there is no sound and picture very fuzzy. My tv has yellow, white and red composite connections and I read this cable should still work. Laptop has either usb or 15pin vga.

Bit stuck on this one - any ideas please ?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                I need help please to solve my initial query... I bought one of these cables http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-8M-RCA-CAB...2621318&sr=1-3 as no hdmi on laptop and only have vga output.

However there is no sound and picture very fuzzy. My tv has yellow, white and red composite connections and I read this cable should still work. Laptop has either usb or 15pin vga.

Bit stuck on this one - any ideas please ?
                The white and red sockets on the TV are for audio, you'll need a minijack to 2 phono (a.k.a. RCA) cable for sound, connected to the line out if you have it or if not the headphone out of the laptop.

The yellow one is a composite video input. You *might* be able to drive it directly with the cable you have if your laptop's VGA output supports a special TV out mode but more likely you'll need something that will actually do a conversion from VGA to composite. That will be limited to SD resolution (i.e. 720 x 576) and cost about £60 so you are better off buying VGA to HDMI converter instead IMO.

StarTech.com VGA to Composite or S-Video (VGA2VID) - dabs.com

CablesToGo VGA to HDMI® Converter (89024) - dabs.com

StarTech.com VGA to HDMI Video Converter with Audio - video converter (VGAHD2HDMI) - dabs.com
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I use Vuze Player with a wireless connection.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Get a wireless sender from Maplins

little usb connector in the laptop (similar to a "dongle") with a receiver which connects to the TV via HDMI

About fifty or sixty quid but a really great piece of kit, you can even split the screens so you can stream to the TV and still use the lappie

Comment

Working...
                    X