• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheap tablet for reading technical PDF books?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap tablet for reading technical PDF books?

While I like my Kindle for reading books and stuff that can free flow, the lack of proper fixed paging is a pain when navigating around a technical manual, where I may want to use the contents/index to jump straight to a page/section. It also doesn't fit a full PDF page that remains easily readable, could do with a bit more screen.

I've given up waiting for a colour e-ink device that has a screen large enough to read A4/book size PDFs, at a reasonable price, and readily available in the UK.

As there seem to be loads of touch tablets flooding the market I'm thinking maybe a cheapo one of those would be a good interim solution.

I expect it would need a minimum of a 10" screen with 1024 x 768 resolution, and not have too narrow a viewing angle for portrait mode, to allow a typical PDF book to be readible with one page filling most of the screen?

Anyone got or know of a cheap tablet (£100-200) that works well for this scenario?

I don't fancy paying £300-400 for an iPad or similar alternative when the only real uses will be reading eBooks and surfing. I've got a laptop for heavier duty stuff, but it's uncomfortable holding it on its side to read in portrait mode.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

In that price range you probably want the blackberry playbook. the new os release should make it usable.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Or wait for the Kindle Fire to be released here
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Take a look at the new Kobo Kobo Store - John Lewis

By the way I've already bought the same book twice, once on amazon and once on iTunes.

If you're buying any technical books that have a DVD attached to the back you won't get the enhanced version if you buy it on Amazon.

I got a musical For Dummies book and the merging of audio, video and text is brilliant on the iPad. I've finally found a medium that is better than the separate components.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          In that price range you probably want the blackberry playbook. the new os release should make it usable.
          Playbook is only a 7" screen.

Archos 101 G9, which runs Android 3.2 and is about £275 might be worth looking at, although it's over the price.

If you drop to a smaller screen site, I'd look at the Andy Pad Pro.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Assuming it only comes with RIM OS, does it allow Android to be installed, or is the community working on that?

Don't fancy a proprietary O/S as it's too easy to get locked into a buggy interface with poor facilities and limited software. Apple are the only worthwhile exception due to the massive market they've already got.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Or wait for the Kindle Fire to be released here

Isn't it only 7"? Wouldn't that be a bit too small for reading a full size page, which is essential if the page has a big diagram on it?

I also find it easier to read books/magazines when in full page view mode for some reason. I suppose it's like trying to read a broadsheet newspaper through a letterbox otherwise.
              Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Take a look at the new Kobo Kobo Store - John Lewis
                The kobo looks to be about the same size as the Kindle I have, with a 6" screen. Is there a larger one on there somewhere or due out soon?

Would probably get a Kindle MX if they sold them in the UK, but would still have the problem with navigation.

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                If you're buying any technical books that have a DVD attached to the back you won't get the enhanced version if you buy it on Amazon.

I got a musical For Dummies book and the merging of audio, video and text is brilliant on the iPad. I've finally found a medium that is better than the separate components.
                Rarely bother with the DVDs that come with books. All the stuff is usually online if needed.

I can see how more interactive books will take off now tablets seem to becoming so ubiquitous, and one of the reasons why a tablet makes more sense than the current e-Ink solutions that don't do video.
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Playbook is only a 7" screen.

Archos 101 G9, which runs Android 3.2 and is about £275 might be worth looking at, although it's over the price.

Wouldn't really want a screen smaller than 10" otherwise the text will probably cause eye strain in full page mode. Also want to be able to read magazine PDFs, which present better in full page view.

There seems to be endless choice over £200 but soon start creeping into £300-500 territory where I'd be wondering whether a new laptop with a touchscreen that converts into a tablet or has docking ability would be a better bet.

So cheap and chearful or I'd never be able to make my mind up.
                  Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

£160 will get you an Advent Vega 10.2 inch with Capacitive screen but with Android 2.3. Install VegaComb from Vega ROM Development and you then effectively have a Xoom/Transformer for half the price. The Vega is the only budget tablet with a dual core tegra chip

Comment

Working...
                    X