• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hosing provider recs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While traffic is low, host from home using a free dynamic DNS to mimic a static IP address.

If traffic ever gets to a level where home is no longer feasible/desirable get a cheap VPS.

If you like having a state of the art broadband connection then home hosting may continue to be good enough if you get Fibre To The Cabinet/Home in the meantime.

If you're worried about power cuts get a cheap UPS. Only those living in the sticks will have seen a power cut lasting more than a few minutes in the last 10 years, and if you're in the sticks you'll be wondering what broadband is anyway.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
      While traffic is low, host from home using a free dynamic DNS to mimic a static IP address.

If traffic ever gets to a level where home is no longer feasible/desirable get a cheap VPS.

If you like having a state of the art broadband connection then home hosting may continue to be good enough if you get Fibre To The Cabinet/Home in the meantime.

If you're worried about power cuts get a cheap UPS. Only those living in the sticks will have seen a power cut lasting more than a few minutes in the last 10 years, and if you're in the sticks you'll be wondering what broadband is anyway.
      That can work for basic sites but if it needs to be on 24 hours a day and the hosting machine uses an average of 50W it will actually cost more than a cheap hosting plan. You also need to consider network performance, the upload speed of standard broadband tops out about ~1mbps and will be less if you have a less than stellar connection, so anything large is going to be painfully slow for end users to access, especially if you have several going on simultaneously. You may also find that your router struggles if you have a lot of distinct users all needing to be NATted to the back end server.

If it's anything that will cost you money when it's down then you also need to worry about network & hardware resilience, which most shared hosting plans offer to some degree.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'm moving mine to HostPost.

Unlimited plus 5 - £8 a month for up to 5 websites (£150 for two years if you want to pay up front)
        Unlimited plus 10 - £16 a month for up to 10 websites (£300 for two years if you want to pay up front)

Even though I only have two at the moment, I'm on the unlimited plus 5 plan. Once they can work out how to deal with my Libyan domain name, then I'll be moving another one there as well.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Of course, to meet the thread title - I've also found this quite good.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Cheers folks. Will have a look at the recs over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
              I have had dealings with Rackspace before, not cheap but I think very good (quite high pressure sales staff though once they get your contact details)
              I've used Rackspace professionally before a few times, and their level of service is very high. It really is invaluable that you can go onto a client site and have VM environments for continuous integration / UAT / staging up and running in next to no time.

I use 1and1 as a dedicated hosting provider, they are excellent value for money but have had a few outages over the last year of several hours each time.
              "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

eukhost.com is good - used them for years and still do, recommend not be a cheapstake and get VPS rather than shared Virtual Hosting.

Comment

recommend not be a cheapstake...
                  Stopped reading your advice beyond that point.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Google AppEngine now has Cloud SQL, so if you could manage a re-write into Jave or Python you could get some cheap AppEngine hosting - and whilst traffic is low, probably host for free.

Comment

Working...
                    X