• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Phone Bootcamp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Phone Bootcamp

Went on a Microsoft Windows Phone bootcamp this weekend and must say, having not really seen the OS in the flesh, i'm really impressed with it.

I'm a .NET developer and found 90% of it was pretty much intuitive so if there's any .NET'ers out there fancying mobile development, keep an eye out for these free phone bootcamps run by MS, they are pretty good.

Don't know where the market is going to go as regards Windows Phone but i'm gonna have a punt on it. Reckon when Nokia finally get their handsets out there, Mango is released and they add all the XBox 360 integration into it then the market share will change.

Indeed. I'm a .NETer and after I finish current Android thing I want to look at Windows phone apps. Good to get back to a decent development system even if it isn't going to be free.

If market is disappointing (and I don't think it will be) it may still be worth selling only half as many copies if it only takes a 1/3 of the time to develop compared to Android and the cut you get is larger than with Apple.

Days here, there's also an online conference coming up

http://uktechdays.cloudapp.net/upcoming-events.aspx
    Last edited by xoggoth; 26 September 2011, 19:17.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Not sure if having a small niche (as Windows Phone is) is a good or bad thing.

Good that there's probably less competition for apps. Unless Metro merges the desktop and mobile app market, sucking many .Netters into the arena.

Bad that there's less target audience to buy those apps. Unless Metro sucks desktop users into paying for software in a slightly different way.

Looks like Android and Apple are currently way ahead and it will take a monumental shift for that to change:

Android outsells Apple 2:1 ? reghardware
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

But thats only because Apple users are waiting for the next phone to be released. The same stories appeared prior to the release of the iphone 4.

My wife is after an iphone moving from a cheapo bog standard samsung phone but I'm waiting for the discounts that will follow the announcement of the iphone 5 before I buy it.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Will the next iphone really be that much different/better?

In the context of this thread the relevant information is that Android and Apple dominate, with Microsoft currently around 10%.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            Looks like Android and Apple are currently way ahead and it will take a monumental shift for that to change:
            Yeah, they have a lot of catching up to do. Reckon a shift is due though as its make or break for Nokia so they've got to really pull out the stops to get their handsets in pockets when they finally release them.

Was trying to work out a way to get a WP7 handset cheap-ish for development purposes given that's all I need it for but no joy as yet.

Comment

The talkie thing sounds good: Rumor: Next iPhone to feature powerful Assistant, 1 GB of RAM (Updated) | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Comment

In the context of this thread the relevant information is that Android and Apple dominate, with Microsoft currently around 10%.
                I doubt it but Apple don't support older technology so there is little point buying a 3gs as support will quickly disappear.

I would be very surprised if Windows 7 is anywhere near 10% in the UK can you even buy a Windows 7 phone in CPW or Phones4u today?
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                X