• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Domain Name

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used Easily for a good few years now. Renewed a domain with them yesterday in fact (although that's one I host myself on EC2).

Comment

I use 123Reg for purchasing all domain names, i use hostgator for my hosting needs and 1&1 for my exchange mail account.

Now I write it I'm sure I could consolidate 1&1 into hostgator but when I first wanted an exchange server I already had several sites with hostgator and couldnt be bothered to up and move, since then Im fairly sure hostgator now has exchange servers.

Ive never had issues with hostgator with any downtime and I like the huge choice of free installable extras you get for website building, their support is very good also.
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Erm considering I'm paying £125 + vat for our domain I think I'll be moving it next year.

Thanks for the pointers.

Comment

Recommendation is to buy/manage domains through one reputable provider and use a different one for hosting.

That way if the hosting isn't good enough, or drops in reliability/performance, you can move it elsewhere and just point your domain to the new host, without the hassle of moving the domain.

Also allows you to go for reasonably priced domain services as some hosts overcharge for domain name and mailbox services.

Some companies also charge to move domains away from them, trying to trap you into staying with their sub-optimal hosting.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Google apps offers free email if you own the domain which is pretty great - better than the cheap webmail most providers offer since you get all the gmail functionality.

Google also can sell you a domain (they re-sell through big-name providers) very cheaply; if you just wanted a very simple Google Sites setup then this would be the minimum amount of messing around... annual fee about £10/year for site+domain+email.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Google apps offers free email if you own the domain which is pretty great - better than the cheap webmail most providers offer since you get all the gmail functionality.

Google also can sell you a domain (they re-sell through big-name providers) very cheaply; if you just wanted a very simple Google Sites setup then this would be the minimum amount of messing around... annual fee about £10/year for site+domain+email.
              I am using Office365 for email and my site hosting. I bought my LTD domain names using 123reg to have some independence if I wanted to move.

At £4 a month for email, office web apps (useful for client sites with ancient versions of office), hosting (via sharepoint online) and business IM (using Lync) I think it's a steal.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Strange, their website boasts of them celebrating 10 years of hosting!
                First website I had with them was in 1999!
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
                  I am using Office365 for email and my site hosting. I bought my LTD domain names using 123reg to have some independence if I wanted to move.

At £4 a month for email, office web apps (useful for client sites with ancient versions of office), hosting (via sharepoint online) and business IM (using Lync) I think it's a steal.
                  Nice avatar! It looks vaguely familiar.
                  The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                    Nice avatar! It looks vaguely familiar.
                    Used it on another forum for a while and just spotted you using it I'll think of something more orginal soon.

Badger, Badger, Badger!

Comment

I watched that badger video for 15 minutes once. Was convinced it was some sort of mind-control device.

Comment

Working...
                      X