• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Updates & SPs: MAC vs Windows

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates & SPs: MAC vs Windows

Just had to install SP2 on Vista so I could get Visual Studio 2010 working.

Now several things that worked before are screwed up after installing the SP - like my dongle & HTC sync utility for a start

How does Apple compare to Microsoft for this kind of thing ? I get really fed up with continually downloading updates. Might come into play when thinking about getting my next laptop.

Try Vista SP3, otherwise known as Windows 7.

As for Apple, I don't think Visual Studio works on that, unless you run an emulator or virtual machine of some kind, in which case why bother?
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

My Mac is always whinging about updates for something or another, and they typically seem to be several hundred Mb and require a restart - also it won't let me install the updates unless it's plugged into the mains.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        How does Apple compare to Microsoft for this kind of thing ?
        Only problems here are updating to a new OS, some programs particularly parallels has issues. Everything else, cough, just works. Never had a problem with ad-hoc software updates.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          My Mac is always whinging about updates for something or another, and they typically seem to be several hundred Mb and require a restart - also it won't let me install the updates unless it's plugged into the mains.
          Most updates typically don't require a restart, unlike Windows ( unless it's changed recently ). The update tool also tells you if an update will require a restart or not so you have the option to install those separately if you want to.

The mains power thing is so that you don't accidentally run out of power halfway through a critical OS update and screw the machine as a result.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Most updates typically don't require a restart, unlike Windows ( unless it's changed recently ). The update tool also tells you if an update will require a restart or not so you have the option to install those separately if you want to.

The mains power thing is so that you don't accidentally run out of power halfway through a critical OS update and screw the machine as a result.
            Plus Mac doesn't force a reboot like Windows does...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              - also it won't let me install the updates unless it's plugged into the mains.
              Yes it will, unless they've changed the question lately.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Plus Mac doesn't force a reboot like Windows does...
                Windows 7 doesn't always require an update and it very rarely forces it rather than letting you wait until your next restart.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Security updates usually need a restart, but yes they tell you beforehand.

Many Windows updates say a "reboot may be required" leaving you to find out later whether one is or not.

Windows can be too aggressive in executing a shutdown when apps are running, giving you not enough time to cancel the shutdown and close them properly. This seems to be getting better though. OS X is very good (sometimes frustratingly so) at detecting running apps which need something saved and cancelling a shutdown if it finds any.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Windows has got better at not rebooting with updates, but there's no question that the *nix based OSs are much better in that regard. I find Windows is usually too slow at shutting down apps that are running when you shutdown the system.

I imagine your dongle, HTC Sync and Visual Studio won't work on a Mac. So yes, if you buy a Mac you won't have that problem anymore.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X