• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Team Foundation Server

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team Foundation Server

Any one got any experience of TFS? It seems to be one of the more popular source code repositories so want to skill up while I am benched.

Two questions:

Anyone know of any good reference books and secondly, whats the best way to get a test server to play around with, I know most M$ products give you a trial usage but is it a bit pointless without anything to put in it?!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Use SVN, pocket 50% of the money and send 50% to me for good advice.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

HTH
      He isn't using it because it's good. But because someone will pay him for knowing it!

On a serious note, AtW have you blogged on the technical and dev setup you guys use?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

HTH
        WAtWS

Doh! I'm ageeing with Alexei. Sorry folks.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Any one got any experience of TFS? It seems to be one of the more popular source code repositories so want to skill up while I am benched.

Two questions:

Anyone know of any good reference books and secondly, whats the best way to get a test server to play around with, I know most M$ products give you a trial usage but is it a bit pointless without anything to put in it?!
          It's not difficult to use - bone up on the basics and blag it. All you really need to do as a user is:
          • create a local repositary
          • check items out for editing
          • get items for read only
          • undo updates on checked out items
          • check items in
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            It's not difficult to use - bone up on the basics and blag it. All you really need to do as a user is:
            • create a local repositary
            • check items out for editing
            • get items for read only
            • undo updates on checked out items
            • check items in
            Oh and remembering to uncheck the "preserve pending changes locally" checkbox when shelving work.

You can truly screw things up if people fail to do that correctly come build day.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

unless you want to be a TFS admin or release manager. there isn't much to learning TFS....you check code in and select a story it's related to...it all lives within visual studio and is easy peasy.

If you want to learn that then maybe try connecting visual studio with a hosted tfs project on codeplex or something.

If you want to be the guy that installs and consults on TFS to companies then go ahead and install it.

If you have a visual studio professional or above MSDN subscription then TFS is FREE for you, just download it in msdn subscription downloads

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                He isn't using it because it's good. But because someone will pay him for knowing it!
                WDS!

I'm not a dev, so it is the other side of TFS I want to get my hand in
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                X