• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Visual Studio Express - 2008 or 2010?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visual Studio Express - 2008 or 2010?

Both Visual Studio Express 2'008 an VS Express 2010 are on offer for download from Microsoft.

Which one would you recommend for a newbie to Visual Studio?

Is 2008 more mature / bug free?
    Is 2010 more bloated / runs like a dog?

Or is that just wild speculation?
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

VS2010 is a very stable product so I would imagine the Express Version is too, so try to go with the latest where possible. The Express versions have a lot taken out so I would be very surprised if it ran like a 'dog' on reasonable hardware. The limitations are testing and debugging tools etc and the Express Edition's Documentation is geared towards those wishing to learn the concepts.

Comment

Ta. 2010 it is then.

Comment

You didn't say what language, and if you have to work collaboratively or alone.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Solent View Post
          VS2010 is a very stable product so I would imagine the Express Version is too, so try to go with the latest where possible. The Express versions have a lot taken out so I would be very surprised if it ran like a 'dog' on reasonable hardware.
          Prepare to be very suprised.

2008 was always a bit clunky, but that's nothing compared to 2010. I'd suggest you use 2005.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Prepare to be very suprised.

2008 was always a bit clunky, but that's nothing compared to 2010. I'd suggest you use 2005.
            WHS.

Comment

Nowt wrong with 2008 IMO, been using it for at least 5 years
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

VS6 all the way. It's like notepad with a compiler but it runs fairly well on modern hardware.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  You didn't say what language, and if you have to work collaboratively or alone.
                  I simply thought I'd have a look at what MS has to offer. Working alone at the moment, and as it's more for fun and/or the occasional quick 'n' dirty prog I don't want to spend a lot.

Comment

I could never get 2005 to debug properly on Windows 7. It can only report values for local variables, not only one with this problem. Not had any problems with VS2008 or 2010 express although only used latter a bit.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X