• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile Broadband

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Broadband

We were thinking of getting my son a dongle for mobile internet while he is away at school. He has wireless for his school laptop, but that is pretty tightly locked down. There are certain things he likes to do which he can't, such as downloading audio books from Audible.

However, the reception he gets on his phone (with 3) is rubbish - do these mobile dongles have a better reception than he would get with his phone or would they be as bad? That is, is the antenna better in the MiFi three sell than in his handset?
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Three have a coverage map on their website.

Rule of thumb though is if phone reception is useless expect the dongle to be as well.

However the inverse isn't true.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      do these mobile dongles have a better reception than he would get with his phone
      I used one last holidays out in the sticks and it was absolutely crap. It was an O2 one and my iPhone is on O2 as well and the internet speed on the iPhone was 10x faster than the dongle. It was basically unuseable. Granted, it wasn't the best signal area but wierd how the phone worked so much better even though it was the same carrier.

So get one of the pre-pay chuckaway ones first to try it rather than one of the £x/month ones just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
        So get one of the pre-pay chuckaway ones first to try it rather than one of the £x/month ones just in case.
        Three have 14 day returns policy which I made use of as the broadband speed in central London was dire. I think it may only be 3 days for the pay as you go ones.

Other providers may have similar policys, so worth checking.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
          Three have 14 day returns policy which I made use of as the broadband speed in central London was dire. I think it may only be 3 days for the pay as you go ones.

I tried a Vodafone dongle, we live in a supposed very strong signal area for Vodafone 3G. The dongle worked at about 300 kbps, pretty useless. We returned it to Vodafone within 14 days with a Vodafone returns number (luckily by recorded delivery) and we then got regular invoices and final demands for payment for the following 6 months. They are truly useless.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post

I also use a 3 mifi dongle in central London and have been very happy with it. It even works on my train journey - I'm using it now.

Maybe it's the dongle model that makes a difference?
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'm currently with Vodafone. I bought a PAYG SIM for each available network, and using a non-locked smartphone, tested the 3G reception where it is to be used, trying each network. Then bought into a contract from the best one.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Three have a coverage map on their website.

Rule of thumb though is if phone reception is useless expect the dongle to be as well.

However the inverse isn't true.
                I had an argument with 3 mobile about the map. They now say the coverage is "air coverage" not ground level. eg: from my house I need a 100 ft antenna
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I've been using 3 mobile broadband for a couple of years now and in urban areas the only downside appears to be slow ping times but its still generally fast enough to watch iplayer
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Cheers folks - took the plunge and signed up to a 24 month 15gb per month deal using their MiFi thing. Pretty good value at only 18.03 a month.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X