• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone used Deepzoom?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone used Deepzoom?

Using a webbrowser in a VS .net application so Silverlight seems ideal, does all I need. No wish to get into using Eclipse or various horrible third party plugins or SDKs if I can help it.

However, despite following this example I can't get it work. Just get a blank page. Outside of VS the test.html generated by deepzoom is blank although review from with in deepzoom looks ok.

Any brill ideas?

PS You can't just click on the test.html file apparently needs to be on server and works ok uploaded http://www.xoggoth.org/Test.html so that may be a red herring. Silverlight dont work in 64 bit browsers so may be no use anyway.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 17 January 2011, 13:19.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

I tried to have a look, but it told me to install Silverlight, which I won't do. What's the actual functionality you're looking for? The MSDN description:
    Deep Zoom enables you to zoom and pan high-resolution images rapidly. Deep Zoom achieves this by using multi-resolution images.

sounds identical to what can be achieved using the Google Maps JavaScript API when providing your own tiles by implementing a tileserver (merely an API that accepts HTTP GET requests for image tiles via query strings that follow the Google Maps API specs). Google used to have a nice demo of ultra-high-resolution images from the Prado's collection, but they seem to have switched that over to Google Earth on the desktop and Flash in the browser, for no very good reason (I mean, they boasted about the JS interface at Google Developer Day 2008). You can get an idea at The Prado in Google Earth and it's possible to implement that without Flash or any other non-browser technology.

Comment

Cheers. Didn't think this had any replies. Much rather use a basic jscript in text editor approach so will give it a look.

Hmm. Page errors, nowt but popups asking me to download Google Earth when I've already got it. Balls.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 19 January 2011, 15:37.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

In case of interest to anyone I finally found this, zoom, pan etc with nowt but HTML & jscript. Works online or locally. Spent about 4 days looking for ways of doing it and getting nowhere but when I found Ajax I did this page in 2 minutes flat:

http://www.gatekeeperel.co.uk/temp/ajax.html

Download Deepzoom, it's a really simple to use utility. Add images, compose and export as single image. As described in first part of this, ignore the Silverlight stuff:

How to: Use Deep Zoom in Silverlight

Copy the contents of folder GeneratedImages to folder with your webpage. This folder always contains a file dzc_output.xml. (You don't need to call the project dzc_output as that MS page says)

Seadragon is described here, use link at bottom to download the Ajax control Kit, then follow getting started link, change "carina-nebula.dzi" to "dzc_output.xml" in their simple example and that's it!

Seadragon Ajax

And its all free!

Updatey poos
        That example page is actually using their single file online script. The downloadable jscript for your own use is here:

http://gallery.expression.microsoft.com/SeadragonAjax/

Download, unzip and click sample.html which is almost identical to above example. The essental bits are seadragon-dev.js, the src folder with various js methods and the img folder with their button images.

You don't actually need the Ajax control Kit unless you are developing in Visual Studio.

dzc_output.xml and dzc_output can be renamed as required if use same root, eg xxx.xml and xxx_files, like saved html.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 24 January 2011, 19:16.
        bloggoth

Comment

Working...
        X