• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Netbook?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I was pondering a Mac. But, I don't really understand them either.

All I know is Windows. This other stuff is gibberish to me.
    They are pretty straightforward really. I knew nowt at all about Macs then bought one and the first session was WTF is this thing but I found after a few days of use it all made sense.

Bonus of Mac is you can dual boot Windows so you can run the OS you are used to but also learn a new OS too which is never a bad thing. You wouldn't dual boot one of the new Air's though as they are SSD rather than disks so are limited capacity but a 13" Macbook Pro would do the job a treat and is a beautiful thing.

Big drawback as said is price, you'd get 3 Netbooks for the price of a 13" Mac, but, you gets what you pay for.

Comment

Who dual boots these days? Doesn't everyone use VMs ?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Who dual boots these days? Doesn't everyone use VMs ?
        Think the VM's, Parallels etc are very good but i tend to use the Windows Partition to play Left 4 Dead 2, Visual Studio and SQL so want these to have the full hardware available to them so I dual boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
          Think the VM's, Parallels etc are very good but i tend to use the Windows Partition to play Left 4 Dead 2, Visual Studio and SQL so want these to have the full hardware available to them so I dual boot.
          I also dual-boot my Macbook since my work involves 3D graphics which needs more dedicated hardware.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
            They are pretty straightforward really. I knew nowt at all about Macs then bought one and the first session was WTF is this thing but I found after a few days of use it all made sense.

Bonus of Mac is you can dual boot Windows so you can run the OS you are used to...stuff Mary doesn't understand....

Big drawback as said is price, you'd get 3 Netbooks for the price of a 13" Mac, but, you gets what you pay for.
            Mate just got a pro, I think he said it was £800, is that good?

My current laptop was £1300 as I allowed my ex to choose it, and I use it in a very, very limited function as you can probably tell.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              Mate just got a pro, I think he said it was £800, is that good?

My current laptop was £1300 as I allowed my ex to choose it, and I use it in a very, very limited function as you can probably tell.
              £1300 pound will get you a nice mac, or as already stated a bunch of netbooks, or a selection of other laptops. Do you have a budget in mind? a basic macbook or macbook air is coming in at £867. Basic netbooks £200 plus. Ipad - £439 - £541 (Just wifi or with wifi and 3G).

I think as has already been suggested try some of the options. My local PC World has a selection of all of the above. Try them and see what you fancy.

HTH

p.s. My preference would be a macbook air. Have just recently used on of the new ones and they are beautiful.
              SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Macs aside, over a grand for a laptop is outside the realms of what you need for internet stuff unless you want a massive screen or something special. The cost of a top-end iPad is what I'd look to spend in your place, whichever way I went.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Macs aside, over a grand for a laptop is outside the realms of what you need for internet stuff unless you want a massive screen or something special. The cost of a top-end iPad is what I'd look to spend in your place, whichever way I went.
                  WHS
                  SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Remember that with an iPad, you won't be fighting with MS updates, anti-virus, firewalls, things suddenly deciding not to work, weird and wonderful registry hacks, black screen of death...

I hope I don't sound like a salesman, as I haven't got an iPhone/iPad/mac myself, but the reasons for using these seems more and more compelling as time goes by (IMO).
                    Seconded. I don't have an iPad myself but having recently started using Windows after a decade avoiding it, there are a ton of irritations. You've also got to acquire a pile of apps to do what comes as standard on an Apple machine.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

There's a ton of irritations because you are now out of touch with how it works. I found exactly the same when I got my Mac... simple things are a PITA.

Comment

Working...
                      X