• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Netbook?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    One definition of a NetBook is that it will not have a DVD or CD drive. You have to buy an external USB one.
    I was talking about the small laptops, 13" or thereabouts. Occasionally they can fit a DVD drive into them.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I've never had to do random registry hacks, in fact I've never played with the registry ...

Also, even using my PCs as a regular user, I don't get them screwing up. I have machines running XP and Vista without even AV, just Windows-firewall and router protection, and they work fine (sporadic checks reveal nothing serious). I'm not the kind of person who spends ages customising my OS, I just use it to install apps and browse the web so I am a real user in that respect... and STILL things don't screw up.
      OK, just me then

Comment

I am using a Samsung Q4340 - excellent laptop (13" screen, powerful, etc.) although I do have an issue with the mouse. I also have an Samsung NC10 that I was using and that is excellent for everything, other than the screen is a bit small for "real" work. Powerful enough for all other purposes though.
        Beer
        is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
          I am using a Samsung Q4340 - excellent laptop (13" screen, powerful, etc.) although I do have an issue with the mouse. I also have an Samsung NC10 that I was using and that is excellent for everything, other than the screen is a bit small for "real" work. Powerful enough for all other purposes though.
          Do you mean Q340? If so, doesn't that have a 14" screen?

Comment

I'm tempted to buy the Thinkpad X100e - purely for the build quality - and punt Windoze in favour of a nice Linux OS. From £349ish to £500 with 3G.

Comment

Biggest issue I had with the 10" netbook I have is the limited screen resolution. Means just normal web browsing requires lots of scrolling about, which will do your nut in.

After a few weeks I got a 13.3" laptop with a 1,440 x 900 and that is much better. Probably just as light too as I use it without the battery when at home as it's always plugged into the mains.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                Do you mean Q340? If so, doesn't that have a 14" screen?
                No definitely a Q430 (yes there was a typo!) Its got a bigger screen than the NC10 anyway!
                Beer
                is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'd go Macbook Air 13".

Had a Netbook for a while (Asus Eee) but it was simply too small which became a pain if i had to do anything of any length or importance on it, got shut and got an iPad for on-the-move stuff. iPad is again, a small screen but all the UI and apps are tailored to that whereas a Netbook is just big apps/OS squashed into a little screen.

If you do get a Netbook though, get WIndows, mine came with Linux and it was absolute sh1t.
                  Last edited by Durbs; 13 January 2011, 13:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                    I'd go Macbook Air 13".

Had a Netbook for a while (Asus Eee) but it was simply too small which became a pain if i had to do anything of any length or importance on it, got shut and got an iPad for on-the-move stuff. iPad is again, a small screen but all the UI and apps are tailored to that whereas a Netbook is just big apps/OS squashed into a little screen.

If you do get a Netbook though, get WIndows, mine came with Linux and it was absolute sh1t.
                    I was pondering a Mac. But, I don't really understand them either.

All I know is Windows. This other stuff is gibberish to me.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

There is also the cost of a Macbook to consider!!!!
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X