• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone recommend good online file sharing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone recommend good online file sharing?

Hi there

Can anyone recommend a good provider for online file sharing? Here's what I'm looking for. We've previously used Go Daddy, which proved unreliable - apparently because it's an American service and we're accessing via Europe. So we want something ultra-reliable we can use from the UK.

We've also looked into Google-docs, which converts files to a Google application - we want our stuff to keep intact as it is!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!
    Frances

File-sharing
    • 60-80GB
    • 4-10 users

We want to:
    • upload Microsoft Office documents
    • file them in folders and sub-folders
    • edit and save them live online
    • lock documents whilst one person is editing so they appear to other users as ‘read only’
    • keep documents in their exact original Microsoft Office format
    • contact a UK helpline if there are any problems

Originally posted by FrancesPace View Post
    Hi there

Can anyone recommend a good provider for online file sharing? Here's what I'm looking for. We've previously used Go Daddy, which proved unreliable - apparently because it's an American service and we're accessing via Europe. So we want something ultra-reliable we can use from the UK.

We've also looked into Google-docs, which converts files to a Google application - we want our stuff to keep intact as it is!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!
    Frances

File-sharing
    • 60-80GB
    • 4-10 users

We want to:
    • upload Microsoft Office documents
    • file them in folders and sub-folders
    • edit and save them live online
    • lock documents whilst one person is editing so they appear to other users as ‘read only’
    • keep documents in their exact original Microsoft Office format
    • contact a UK helpline if there are any problems
    With Google Apps (Docs) you can now upload/download any file without having to convert it.

But if you want to online edit MS formats natively then I guess its Office Web Apps

Comment

Your use case sounds to have some overlap with version control software, in which case Codesion are one of many who offer hosted SVN services. You'd get to keep local copies of files and you can lock files if you must.

It doesn't let you edit the live files online - but why do you need this ability, it sounds problematic to me?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Have a look at

Box.net | Online file sharing, content management, collaboration and
        Dropbox - Home - Online backup, file sync, and sharing made easy.

Their premium prducts sound like they would do what you want.

Comment

Working...
        X