• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Backup solution

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup solution

What kind of backup solution do you employ at home?

I have a very simple IT setup and currently save all my data to an external USB HDD.

I really, at the very least, need to buy another external drive as a secondary backup location with a view to automating backups between the two drives.

Curious to see what others do and how they process their backups.

I have Acronis TruImage backing up to a NAS. It sometimes even works (must go and check because I haven't for a couple of weeks). I also have a Carbonite online backup account, and my main PC has mirrored disks too, so in theory I have 4 copies of everything, plus the occasional CD backup of most important data.

I was thinking I'd replace the NAS with a bigger external USB drive, because there's no point it being on when the PC isn't.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Synology NAS server, very happy with it, remote backups, local network backs, RAID
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I use EMC Retrospect to back up my data to a dedicated internal disk on my desktop and keep another copy on an external disk.

For system partition backups I use Paragon Partition Manager.

For my remaining hosted linux box I use a periodic tar & ftp of everything that cannot be reinstalled easily.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

In the office I backup daily to one of five removeable drives which go home with me every day and then a weekly backup to one of two bigger external drives that go off to another building once a week.

At home My PC backs up to Mrs PRC's one and vice-versa. Then mine also backs up to an external drive.

Comment

Combination of Mozy and Dropbox to mitigate against house burning down/having all my kit nicked which makes a SAN/USB drive risky as a sole solution.
            Last edited by Durbs; 19 November 2010, 14:23.

Comment

I don't back everything up; I've a hosted SVN account for important stuff.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm using idrive.com for stuff I'm currently working on and stuff I really don't want to lose, and a weekly copy to an external hard drive for everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  What kind of backup solution do you employ at home?

I have a very simple IT setup and currently save all my data to an external USB HDD.

I really, at the very least, need to buy another external drive as a secondary backup location with a view to automating backups between the two drives.

Curious to see what others do and how they process their backups.
                  Had a bad experience with that a while back. The back up drive corrupted just as I wiped my main server! Nightmare. It still makes me wake up in a sweat.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Got a USB Freecom I back major directories up to now and then. I do more regular backups of what's changed to memory sticks, alternating each time.

PS I use an Excel VBA written thing for the regular backups. Put in backup path, top level directories to backup and any subdirectories to exclude and any strings in file/subdirectory names to exclude (like copy or .tmp). It copies what's changed since last backup, including all subdirectories, to a folder named by date and time. To avoid recreating lots of empty intermediate directory levels it saves a flat version with each file name preceeded by a subdirectory number but it also saves a text cross reference. Here if anyone wants it, at own risk.

http://www.xoggoth.org/temp/backupx.xls
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 20 November 2010, 12:16.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X