• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Data Modellng tools?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're doing fine, I think what your missing is an Entity Relationship Diagram.

Once you have that your Dataflow will make more sense.

Then you need to link your data flows to the ERD.

Fancy tools won't help, you'll just spend more time fighting with the tools than understanding the problem.

Data Flows alone work if the data is fairly simple, but otherwise you need to start with your ERD first.

I think it's fine to use Visio for the overview and Word and Excel for the nitty gritty.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 12 January 2011, 10:04.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Talking about relational dBs, and applying the Merise approach, I would generally recommend AnalyseSI, or a better option could be Mocodo.

If you need to represent some more object-oriented scenarii and cases (applying UML), I can think of Rational Rose.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        You're doing fine, I think what your missing is an Entity Relationship Diagram.

Once you have that your Dataflow will make more sense.

Then you need to link your data flows to the ERD.

Fancy tools won't help, you'll just spend more time fighting with the tools than understanding the problem.

Data Flows alone work if the data is fairly simple, but otherwise you need to start with your ERD first.

I think it's fine to use Visio for the overview and Word and Excel for the nitty gritty.
        An ER diagram is what I would think of as a data model.

You can get by with Excel and Visio for a while, but if you are building complex data models you will want a proper modelling tool eventually, if only to generate the DDL properly.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Visual Studio 2010 has tools built in for designing, deploying and version controlling a database.
          I've not used it myself but it could be worthwhile looking in to
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
          X