• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Data Modellng tools?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Modellng tools?

Help!

I've been thrown into the data aspect of the client's programe and I'm rapidly getting to the limitof my current knowledge.

I've been using Excel and Visio to create a data dictionary and some basic data flows, but even I recognise this isn't going to take me far.

Can anyone recommend a tool that will make more sense of the data than I can at the moment?

(Lots of reading to do this weekend. My Data Modelling: A beginner's Guide will get well thumbed )
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Help!

I've been thrown into the data aspect of the client's programe and I'm rapidly getting to the limitof my current knowledge.

I've been using Excel and Visio to create a data dictionary and some basic data flows, but even I recognise this isn't going to take me far.

Can anyone recommend a tool that will make more sense of the data than I can at the moment?

(Lots of reading to do this weekend. My Data Modelling: A beginner's Guide will get well thumbed )
    For analysing data Oracle - I used Toad
    SQL Server - Install it on your local machine

Erwin is considered a decent modelling tool.

If you're doing any schema modelling, there is a freebie tool on the Kimble Methodology website which is quite good. If you need a hand PM me.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Thanks MF, will do when I've got a minute.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

What is the model trying to achieve?

I use a number of tools for modelling stats. Mostly in terms of likelihood of future events, reliability, forecasting that sort of thing.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Secret weapon: Kalido Business Information Modeller. Its free.

Technically, its part of their BI suite and allows you to create a Conceptual Model that can be loaded straight into their dynamic warehouse platform. But you don't have to use it for that.

Their modeling technique is streets ahead of the industry, taking the complexity out of other methods, like ER diagrams.

This tool creates really great looking Conceptual Models that you can build in collaboration with the business (users) in a way they can easily understand.

Data Modeling is an art, and suitable for large or complex system requirements. Check out Cliff Longman's site (former CTO of Kalido):

Communicating with data models Free video training

...for a very good introduction to conceptual modelling where he mentions this tool.

I hope this helps.
          When you encounter speed humps, sound your horn in protest.

Comment

Originally posted by beercohol View Post
            a very good introduction to conceptual modelling where he mentions this tool.
            I hope this helps.
            I might just add, when I looked at his training series, it wasn't finished, but still some very good concepts.

Comment

Just realised you're all talking about problem structuring methods...

.. Just out of curiosity, I assume those software approaches for conceptual models are more than just drawing pictures and they actually perform some form analytical analysis, how are human factors considers? Is an attempt made to model human behaviour?
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Just realised you're all talking about problem structuring methods...

.. Just out of curiosity, I assume those software approaches for conceptual models are more than just drawing pictures and they actually perform some form analytical analysis, how are human factors considers? Is an attempt made to model human behaviour?
                Dude, you lost me man!

I don't know what you're talking about, but it sounds sophisticated.

Comment

To me a model is a mathematical representation of a system or service that is used in an attempt to understand possible outcomes, usually in the future.

What's a model mean to IT people?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    To me a model is a mathematical representation of a system or service that is used in an attempt to understand possible outcomes, usually in the future.

What's a model mean to IT people?
                    As I have a degree in Mathematics and develop business models for people using Business Intelligence, where i have to model data and processes as well as undertaking the odd underwear photo shoot for catalogues the term model means lots of things to me.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X