• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Massive printer driver

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try universal printer driver from HP its a little lighter and if you have multiple HP printers works quite well.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

I just installed an HP Deskjet printer at home, I de-selected all the gumph but was still left with a driver that required 348Mb of disk space!

WTF is that all about, why so much? Last time I installed a printer it wanted 5Mb max.
      I remember the same a couple of years ago - The install went on, and on, and on, and on, ... I'm sure it took much longer to install then Windows!

I'll be looking for a decent double-sided laser printer soon, and I'll definitely go with Epson if they do one rather than HP.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

My PC came with Lightscribe. Has anyone actually used it?
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          I just installed an HP Deskjet printer at home, I de-selected all the gumph but was still left with a driver that required 348Mb of disk space!

WTF is that all about, why so much? Last time I installed a printer it wanted 5Mb max.
          Do Apple make Printers?
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            My PC came with Lightscribe. Has anyone actually used it?
            Nope. I looked at the price of the discs you need and thought I'd carry on using my existing stock of discs and sticky labels.

Probably naive of me to think that HP would offer something that cost less than printer ink. I'd have another look at doing it if I were going to do some official looking distributions though.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Try universal printer driver from HP its a little lighter and if you have multiple HP printers works quite well.
              I seem to remember that some of the HP printer driver team had done some open sourcee-stylee drivers, which also made it easier to share USB printers. This might have just been for Linux / Unix platforms though.

If you want to use a non-Windows platform for printing to HP printers, there is the Gutenprint project.

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
              Do Apple make Printers?
              Not any more.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
              X